We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best plan for our day please

australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best plan for our day please

Hi All,

Can someone please give me a simple plan for our day visiting the vatican etc...We will be there on Monday 8th September.......

We have pre purchased tickets to the Vatican, St Peter's & Sistine Chapel tickets for 9.00am.

I aim to get the family on site by 8.30am at the latest. We would like to see the following ;

• Vatican

• Vatican Museum

• Sistine Chapel

• St peters Basilica

• St peters Square

• Old Post Office ( worlds smallest Country )

• Tiber River

• Castel Sant Angelo

Baths of Caracalla

We will obviously be walking the area with two kids, a 70 year old grandmother, so I need to try and have a plan that logically takes us flowing one one to the other..... We will also have lunch/dinner in the area too just a nice Pizza place that wont cost an arm and two legs....suggestions welcome....

I am assuming that first week in September is still PEAK times for both crowds and HEAT....

As always thank you so much for the advice & guidance....

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,972 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$410.50*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,819 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,609 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,896 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

Parraboy - you could see St. Peter's Square, head around to the entrance to the Vatican Museum, see the Museums and Sistine Chapel and then exit the Sistine Chapel via the side door that connects with a pathway/ramp straight into St. Peter's Basilica.

How is your 70 year old with mobility and walking? The Vatican Museums are enormous - it takes 20 minutes of fast walking to get from the museums entrance to the Sistine Chapel and that's without masses of people in front of you.

Castel Sant Angelo is about 12 euro per person to visit but the views from the terrace are spectacular.

The walk from there to the Baths of Caracalla is a LONG way from Castel Sant Angelo - you will all probably need to take a cab.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

Walk between St. Peter's Square and the Castel Sant' Angelo (with a 70-yr-old) is probably 15 minutes.

There is a lovely neighborhood restaurant just five minutes' walk from the Castel. Sor Eva. Check out their website: http://www.ristorantesoreva.com/en/

If it is warm, DO take frequent water stops. Getting dehydrated will be your worst enemy! :)

Buon viaggio!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

You can use a wheel chair inside the museums. If you don't have one you can borrow one. There is a special wheel chair route that you can use that will be sure to include the elevators.

I would start at the museums. They are huge so get the chair if you can. Follow the route, taking your time and end in the chapel. Once done in the chapel you can go into the basilica. There have been some reports that the guards are letting everyone use the bypass door but this has not been my recent experience. Just be aware that they may make you use the regular exit and that you may need to walk all the way around to get to the basilica. Either way, once done with the museums you can head to the basilica. After the basilica, walk through the square and get a taxi for the ride to the castel sant angelo. There are taxis waiting just across the street from the square, you can't miss them.

Donna

australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

Hi

Grandma is very mobile No issues there . I will definately take the advice given here with the suggested sights to see and the order of them. Looking forward to it....

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
187 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

This is a good sandwich place near St Peter's Square

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d2…

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,802 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

To get from Castel Sant'Angelo to the Baths of Caracalla by bus you can get the #271 from Piazza Pia, next to the Castel, to the Circo Massimo metro station. From there to the baths is a short one-third of a mile walk.

Bus 271 route info: viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/…

7. Re: What is the best plan for our day please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:17