We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, restaurant that serve artichoke hearts and is located in the Jewish district not far from Campo di Fiori?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,561 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Piperno.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Just a note- artichokes are in season in spring to early summer in Italy. It will be difficult to find fresh ones out of season, fyi.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Thank you for posting this question. I apologise for hijacking your post but I have a couple of questions.. are the artichokes steamed where you pull off each "petal" or are they more like the ones purchased at import stores.. marinated with herbs and oil? And is this a seasonal dish? Was hoping to try them while in Rome, but we'll be there in May.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Verso Sera. Very near Campo di Fiori. Artichokes were fried. Listed on menu as Carciofi alla Giuda. Leaves were crispy almost like potato chips. Heart was just about the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. This was on May 1 when they were in season. You'll find them everywhere on menus and (uncooked) at the open-air markets where they make for lovely photos. Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,162 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

There are several varieties of the dish. Carciofi alla giudia, which means Jewish style artichokes, are the deep fried version described above. It is crispy and delicious, and costs about 5-7 Euro a piece. There is also a cored and steamed version with garlic, salt, and olive oil, carciofi alla romana, which is also delicious. These do not require pulling out leaves one by one.

rome
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

In rome artichokes are traditionally eaten whole, just trimmed, not hearts.

The season is late december till into may.

You will see artichokes in some restaurants outside of the season, but they will be imported. They are not the same, do not order them.

There are twotraditional ways of eating roman artichokes:

Alla giudia (the jewish way): whole artichoke deep fried twice, where you eat it leaves, bottom and all, like chips. It should be crisp and not greasy.

Alla romana (roman way): whole artichoke braised in lots of oliveoil, with some mentuccia, and sometimes garlic, eaten at lukewarm.

Steamed artichokes, where you dip the leaves into a mustard or butter sauce, are practically unknown in Rome.

In season, best places to eat the jewish version, around the ghetto, are piperno, baghetto and nonna betta. Over in trastevere ai bozzi makes a decent version as well.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 07:13
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

My grandmother used to make it the Roman way. Where is Rome can I get those? I've only seen the Jewish version on menus.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,162 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

sushi, try here http://www.latavernadeiforiimperiali.com/

It is a pretty good lunch spot (maybe dinner also - we just had lunch) and they serve delicious carciofi alla romana as a first course for 5 Euro.

Also, Ristorante Settimio (does not have a website) near Pantheon has carciofi alla romana on its first course menu; also very-very good.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

Just realize that I'm going to be in Trastevere, so would need to know if there is a restaurant there that has Roman style artichokes.... thanks.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants serving artichoke hearts?

I love artichokes and have eatten them three different ways in Rome. I love the jewish way.

Checco Er Carettiere in Trastevere makes a great jewish artichoke.

I have had something like the Roman way at a restaurant near the Colosseum but it was on the Antipasto bar and was room temperature

Hostaria Isidoro al Colosseo

Last Updated by Pat on Apr 21, 2011

via S. Giovanni in Laterano, 59/a

This place is great. Excellant Antipasto bar.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/review.asp?n=hostaria+isidoro+al+colosseo&s=colosseo

00184 Roma (Roma), Italy

06 7008266