We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All the tourist spots are done, what now?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All the tourist spots are done, what now?

You have a day left in Rome and you've seen everything you're meant to do.

How do you spend the day with no museums to see or itinerary to rush around for?

Cranford
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

Personally, I would take a long walk around town window shopping, and stopping into any Church that was open that I had not seen, as I was struck by the beauty of all of these churches. I would leave time for stopping and having a drink or three at a nice outdoor table, near a pizza and enjoy some local performers...

Or take a day trip to say Orvietto or Ostia Antica

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

The best kind of day! I would just stroll, eat and drink while people watching and do some shopping.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

In Rome, always lots, and lots more to do. Visit the weird Fascist-era city planned for a World Fair that never happened, EUR. Explore some of the lovely parks, like Villa Ada or Villa Doria Pamphili. Wander the open-air street art museum -- http://muromuseum.blogspot.it/p/map.html . Visit the marvelous Quartiere Coppedé (gorgeous architecture). Head to the terrific contemporary art museums, MACRO and MAXXI. Just a few things that come to mind, all of which can be done at your own pace. Is there something in particular you are thinking of? If so, we can give more specific suggestions...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

You would have had to be in Rome for at least 2 weeks before that would occur. Guide books on Rome run into hundreds of pages of interesting things to see.

canada
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

These cannot be the words from a true tourist.

You mean you have check off all the items on your list. Then start to be a real tourist. See the present (food community, economy, mentality), notice the past (archeology, architecture, cemeteries, churches, museums etc), and look forward to the future (schools. youth activities). And all in a relaxed manner, so that you can think, or meditate, about various associated historical events. That is how we learn, by traveling.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

Put "off the beaten track" and "hidden gems" into forum search and you'll get loads of hits.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

With hundreds of things to do and see in Rome I find it hard to believe that you've done them all in such a short time.

If you have a guide book I suggest you pull it out and see what else is of interest to you. If you don't have a guide book you can always just wander the streets of Rome soaking up the atmosphere, stopping into any churches or sites that you find interesting. Without a list of what you've already seen it's hard to make suggestions of what you may have missed.

donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

I've been working on a list of things I want to see in Rome for 20 years. Now that I live in Italy, I go there fairly often, but my list keeps getting longer rather than shorter. New sites open, or I hear of something I didn't know about.

For instance, a few months ago, I finally got around to visiting the Crypta Balbi, but I also found out that the House of. Livia will be reopening after being closed for years.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

There's no shortage of amazing things to see and do in Rome, so good for you for asking. (FWIW, I'm not sure what the list of what I'm "meant to do" would include.)

Lots of options here: http://romethesecondtime.blogspot.com/

There are also lots of day trip options:

Ostia Antica

Ostia Lido

Orvieto

Santa Marinella

Hadrian's Villa

Villa d'Este

Edited: 20 August 2014, 19:54
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All the tourist spots are done, what now?

Once I did a Caravaggio tour, or a memento mori tour or we tried to spot as many roman stones, columns, capitals on buildings façades and doors.