We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft in Rome Hotels?

USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Theft in Rome Hotels?

Planning my first trip to Italy, and researching where to stay in Rome by reading the TripAdvisor reviews. An alarming number of the "terrible" reviews talk about travelers valuables, cash, etc being stolen from the rooms. Would you let those reviews steer you away from those hotels?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft in Rome Hotels?

>Would you let those reviews steer you away from those hotels?

Probably not if the hotel was where I wanted to stay. When I look at reviews I always look at the poster's history. If it's a "one off" I'll ignore it.

Many times the complaints in those "terrible" reviews don't quite add up or there are obviously things left out. Those things are often very obvious to folks who visit a particular location regularly (that's Las Vegas for us) so if it's a hotel you're particularly interested in, just start a thread here with some pointers the reviews that concern you and someone will jump in.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft in Rome Hotels?

Personally, I would stick to better hotels which do not get these type of reviews.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft in Rome Hotels?

TA reviews can be posted by anyone, even people who have never stayed at the hotel. A lot of the terrible reviews are posted by people who like to stir up mischief, or who are competitors of the hotel. Likewise, a lot of the glowing reviews are posted by the hotel owner or a relative; there are even services that will post reviews for a fee.

I take the really awful and really wonderful reviews with a grain of salt. I also look at reviews on venere.com and booking.com , where only certified guests can post reviews.

4. Re: Theft in Rome Hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:16