We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

New Braunfels, TX
Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

I am traveling with 3 other women, first time to Rome for all of us. Have been perusing reviews on tripadvisor for 3 days, also Rick Steves, and my brain is overloaded.

What area would you select if this was your first visit, 5 nights?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

The most central area is around Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. It is a lovely pedestrianised area where you can walk around at all hours.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Where to stay in Rome depends upon your interests and preferences as well as your budget. For first time visitors, I think that, for the convenience of being able to walk to multiple sights (albeit you can't walk to all the major sights), as well as the ability to just stroll and explore, and try different restaurants and bars, it is best to stay in the heart of the historic center -- Pantheon, Spanish Steps/Trevi, Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori, Monti/Colosseo, Jewish Ghetto, or close in parts of Trastevere. I also recommend checking on access to public transportation and taxi stands -- Rome is best explored by walking but every now and then best to use public transportation, like the terrific mini electric bus, to save some wear and tear on your feet.

One tip: always look up the specific address of an apartment or hotel before booking. This is very important because two addresses within the same "neighborhood" can be at significantly different distances to the heart of the historic center.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Pantheon/Navona. Definitely my rec for first timers to Rome.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

We, too, spent a lot of time agonizing over this before our recent trip. Once we were there, though, we discovered distances aren't nearly as far as they appear on a map. Rome is a wonderful walking city. I suggest you stay in the historic core (South of Spagna, West of Repubblica, East of the Tiber, and North of the Colosseum) but I'd tend to treat all the hotels in this area as geographic equals and differentiate based on their amenities and price. We ended up staying about a 5 minute walk from Spagna station and were very pleased with the proximity to the sights we wanted to see. One advantage of staying within walking distance of a Metro stop is it makes it a bit easier to access the Vatican and Termini station (for day trips on the train).

New Braunfels, TX
Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Thank you all so much. I have been looking primarily around the Pantheon area, but someone mentioned the Trastevere area as being very nice, also. I think I will reserve that area for my next trip and focus in the central area.

I really appreciate all of you who responded!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

All above are correct to be central. Trastevere is nice but not quite central.

Look at Albergo Cesari a far as being central. We have stayed there before and will again in Sept. Email them direct, I found better prices than through other sites.

Good luck

New Braunfels, TX
Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Thank you, Bonjours

Albergo Cesari is one that I looked at; some reviews were lukewarm--I assume your experience was good or you wouldn't go back! I appreciate so much your response!

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Take a look at Hotel Nazionale A Montecitorio. It's perfectly located in the Pantheon / Piazza Navona area. Friends of ours have stayed there and they highly recommend it.

Trastevere is one of our favorite places. I wouldn't recommend staying in Trastevere for first timers, but it is a lovely part of Rome. If you can find time, spend some time there.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Another vote for Pantheon/Navona area. As Nick said, it's a pedestrian zone, so it's more charming and a little quieter than, say, Termini. We like to stay pretty close around there; we've stayed at apartments near Piazza Navona and also at the Hotel Abruzzi in front of the Pantheon. If you want amazing views, I can recommend them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preferred hotel location for !st visit to Rome?

Do try to spend a little time wandering around Trastevere, especially between Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere and Tiber Island. Very charming. Go inside the church of Santa Maria in Trastevere if you want to see amazingly beautiful mosaics (above the altar).

Edited: 21 August 2014, 17:09