We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

We'll be traveling in Italy for 2 weeks in October. We have Samsung galaxy III smartphones and we'd like to,be able to use them only for emergencies.

Any advice on how to do this?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

I'll be doing the same. My plan was to go to a mobile store when I get there and get a temp sim card, preferably with just a data plan. If you find any good deals I'd love to hear about them.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

I am doing this as well, I got a sim that will work in Italy and also made sure that my phone is unlocked. I have a Samsung galaxy 4

Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

Hi,

How did you get your phone unlocked? Our carrier is Verizon and when my husband went there today to ask about using the phone in Italy nobody mentioned this unlocking thing? Is it something you do yourself?

Sorry for being so ignorant on these matters ;)

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

Well here in Australia they do not sell the phones locked anymore. So you might have to asked if it was is locked. Locked means that you can only use a sim from that provider. If you say you are going overseas they might unlock it

Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

Thanks Vicki, I'll have to ask Verizon .

NY
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

To OP, go on the Verizon Wireless website and travel information to see if your specific model Galaxy phone will work in italy, it probably will. If if is only for emergencies, then an option is to have Verizon turn on international roaming and it will then connect to a local Italy service, but it will be relatively expensive.- you can see the rates.

To use a local Italy SIM, if your phone is locked, and Verizon likes to do this for many service plans especially prepaids and before expiration of the contract, then you will either have to have them unlock it or do it yourself. There are internet sites that will do it for you, but sometimes the carrier will warn this voids the warranty.

Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

I got my service provider to unlock our phones for international roaming. The charges were high but, like you we intended to use them for emergencies and wifi. TalkTalk have a texts and calls or a data, texts and calls service. I chose the latter and switched the mobile data off so I couldn't use it accidentally at 19p per meg.

SIMs would have cost €20 between us but in the end we sent 3 texts with a total cost of £0.15.

Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

I got my service provider to unlock our phones for international roaming. The charges were high but, like you we intended to use them for emergencies and wifi. TalkTalk have a texts and calls or a data, texts and calls service. I chose the latter and switched the mobile data off so I couldn't use it accidentally at 19p per meg.

SIMs would have cost €20 between us but in the end we sent 3 texts with a total cost of £0.15.

Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

Maryland
Level Contributor
42 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Samsung phone during Italy trip

I just took a Verizon Galaxy 3 to Italy for 2 weeks. I didn't want to bother unlocking or changing SIM's. I enabled global coverage with Verizon wireless for $25. We used the phone several times for GPS all over Italy. It worked great.

For phone calls, I used Viber and added $5 to the account. Made several calls home over Wi-Fi for 2 cents a minute. Easy stuff.

Call Verizon when you get home to disable global coverage.

Greg