We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

We will be taking the fast train from Venice to Rome departing Venice at about 6:15 a.m. I have the next booking already made from Rome to Civitavecchia. But we will have to transfer in the Rome train station to get the train to Civi. We have about half an hour. We will never have been in the Rome train station before this.

Please tell me we can make this connection. If you can, please give me some specific directions for how to get from the Venice train to the Civi train. And, if you have to tell me we can't possibly do it, tell me what to do if we miss that connecting train. We have to get to Civi by 3:30 p.m. Command performance or we miss our ship!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Train stations have departure screens, similar to those at airports. These show the departure time, the train number (on your ticket for all fast trains), the final destination (which may be beyond where you are going to), and the platform (binario) that will be used. The platform is usually not shown until about 20 minutes before departure.

As you have booked the train from Rome to Civiavecchia, you know the number of the train, so just look for it on a departure screen and go to the platform shown. Half an hour is far more time than you need.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Thank you so much, yes, I have all that info. So you think I can't get lost trying to find that next platform? We speak and read no Italian (although some French, little bit alike). I have this idea of a vast train station with a vast number of platforms that are hard to find. You're saying it's not so?

I do thank you for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

You do not need to speak Italian. The departure screen has the number of the train and the number of the platform. These do not need translation.

Train stations are much more compact than airports: you can fit 3 platforms with 6 tracks inside the wingspan of a modern jet. And you don't have to check luggage, wait for luggage, or go through security.

Termini is large, but not really confusing. The main part has 24 platforms, numbered from left to right. There are also platforms 25 to 29, which are at the right of the station, beyond the end of platform 24. See the map here: http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Thank you. I am cutting and pasting all your info into my trip file. You have really helped me.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

On a long train journey, some delay isn't unusual. Yor connection time may be much shorter than half an hour. However, your train from Venice is due to arrive in Termini station at 9:35, so you should have no problem getting to Civitavecchia on time. If your reservation is on the 9:57 IC train to Civitavecchia, and if you miss it, just use the ticket on the next regional train to Civitavecchia. You won't have a reserved seat, and the regional train takes longer, but the IC ticket can be used on a regional train and you have plenty of time.

Your other option depends on whether it's a full price ticket (€10.50) or not. Full price tickets can be exchanged for a ticket on a different train if your connection was missed because of the late arrival of another train. Discounted tickets in theory can't be changed for any reason, although I once convinced a ticket agent to do it. However, the next four trains are regional trains, so I would just take one of those.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Thank you again for valuable info Le Marche. If we miss that connection, I may try to get a seat on a subsequent train with the ticket, although with no language I doubt I would succeed. By that point I will be so panicked about missing the ship, I will just pay again for another train. Very relieved there will be other trains. That's a better option than just hiring a taxi, which I imagine would cost a lot.

The number one rule with a cruise ship is DO NOT MISS THE SHIP. It would cost hundreds of dollars to catch up with it at the next port.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,735 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Relax. You can't possibly miss the ship. There are Regional trains twice an hour, that take around an hour. And you don't have to line up at the ticket office to buy the €5 tickets for them - Regional ticket machines are fast and take cash (including bills) if you don't have a chip and pin card.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,699 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

Note that if your train to Civitavecchia is a regional train, it will usually leave from the remote tracks (# 25 - 29, see the map linked in post #3). If this is the case you need to step lively, as it's about a three block walk to these tracks from the main trackhead.

The IC train leaves from the main tracks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

I believe that if you miss the train, you can just use the IC ticket on the next regional train, without changing your ticket. The regional tickets are cheaper and have no reserved seats. (Perilizia will correct me if I'm wrong.)

10. Re: Transfer from Venice train in Rome to Civit...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 17:20