We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

Is there a list of the top pieces to see in the Vatican Museum?

I'll have an audio-guide but might not recognize something that is important as I'm walking around. It would be helpful to have a list or map that identifies the top or significant pieces to view.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

Wouldn't that list be dependent on who is viewing it? What's important to me might not be important to you. Here is a list of the rooms at the Vatican museums. You can look it over and decide which pieces you want to see.

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Settori.html

Donna

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

I can spend hours on the tapestries, or days in the map room. By {top} pieces, do you mean those on the ceiling?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

…vatican.va/4_ES/…MV_Patrons_04_03.html

This is on my top ten but may not interest others.

The Vatican Museum guide book (available as you go up the escalator after your scan your ticket) is about 12 euro and has a list of significant pieces in the museum - not necessarily a top ten though.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

You're getting a hard time for this question, sunsandsurf, because art's appeal is very personal.

How about if I give you my own, extremely subjective, top five list?

Perhaps others will jump in to disagree and offer alternatives or make additions, and that will get you started with your own, personal, list:

1. The Belvedere Torso -- an ancient statue that inspired the Renaissance sculptors

2. The School of Athens -- it was on the cover of the European history book I used in Grade 10 and Grade 11

3. The Floor of the Sistine Chapel -- don't spend all your time in there looking up

4. Triumph of the Christian Religion -- ceiling fresco depicts a Crucifix standing in place of a smashed pagan statue

5. St. Helena's Sarcophagus -- made for Constantine's mother, who started the whole relics craze

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

The Vatican Museums have virtual tours of their collections:

mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Visite.html

You can watch them and decide what would most appeal to you. Their Egyptian Collection and Etruscan Collection are both superb, and very few people visit them; this means that you can actually raise your arms in those rooms.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

The Laocoon (with its fascinating back story) would have to be on my top 10 list. Absolutely amazing. And ditto for School of Athens.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

The "top ten" list will be highly subjective. Several of my "must-sees" are already mentioned, but I also love the "unswept floor" mosaic in the Gregoriano Profano section of the Vatican Museums (which is usually peaceful and practically empty, a welcome change from other parts of the museums where people are packed in like sardines!), this has a small section of it -- http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/unswept.html -- the mosaic shows us what wealthy ancient Romans would have eaten at a feast -- grapes, sea urchins, chicken, snails, lobsters, nuts, fish -- now consumed and the remnants thrown on the floor, where a little mouse has crept in for a taste. Witty and beautiful!

8. Re: Top 10 Things To See in Vatican Museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16