We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg,Va
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

Hello, we have an 08:50 flight to Zurich and will need to park in an off site lot and shuttle in. We have no bags to check in and we are already checked in with boarding passes printed. We prefer to stay in the city rather then by FCO and wondered what the travel time to the airport is during the morning hours? Would leaving the Forum area around 06:30 allow us enough time? Thanks for any input! :)

* our plan B is to stay in Lido Di Ostia but the hotels are pricey and not very nice. We have never been to that area but it does not look very online. It would be more convenient but its a second honeymoon and we wanted to stay someplace nice.

Williamsburg,Va
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

Okay, I just read that Rome is a bit hard to get through. We will just need to get through security and to our gate. We are not US bound but I am not sure if that makes a difference? Regardless of where we stay, what amount of time is needed to get through security and to the gate?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,613 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

If you are travelling within the European Schengen area, it should be sufficient to be in the check-in line 2 hours before departure, as there will be no passport control. If you are travelling outside that area, allow 3 hours.

But I hope you are not planning on driving in Rome. The whole of the centre is forbidden to visitors' cars.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

It takes me at least 35 minutes to drive from the airport to viale Trastevere.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 11:17
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

However I'm doing this in summer, when there's relatively little traffic - I don't want to find out how hard can it be in winter and I suppose you wouldn't want to, either.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 11:19
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

It sounds as though you're spending just one night in Rome and will be driving a rental car. This brings two warnings to mind. First, you have to allow extra time for returning the rental car, which is not always a quick and easy process at Fiumicino. Second, be sure you know all about the limited traffic zones (ZTL) in Rome (and almost all other cities and towns in Italy). Staying in Ostia might not be a bad idea. Another option would be to turn in the car the night before, stay at the Airport Hilton, and take their shuttle into Rome for the evening.

6. Re: Driving from the city to the airport, how much time will we

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:16