We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Rome in Sep

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heading to Rome in Sep

Hi All

I will be in Rome from 17 to 20 September along with my wife. Was just confused that how best to plan our trip for 4 days (we will depart on 21st). Before that we will be in Venice and Florance.

We would like to cover all major attractions around Rome to experience the true feel of city. We do plan to visit Vatican during our stay.

Wanted your suggestions with regards to what is the best way to commute around the city and if any pass is needed for attractions and other stuff. If there is any other place which is worth seeing and not that common we can cover that also.

There are different bus like big bus which operates around the city, is it worth it or one should manage own its own ??

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 17:54
Edited: 01 September 2014, 17:54
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

All forms of transportation in Rome (save for HO-HO buses) are covered by ATAC tickets and passes; ATAC itself is the city company managing the whole bus/trolleybus/tram/Metro/light rail network. These various means of transportation all use the same kind of tickets and passes.

Judging from the duration of your stay, you may need either a bunch of single-ride tickets (€ 1.50 each, vaild for 100 minutes on [trolley]buses and trams from the moment in which you validate them, plus one Metro ride) or a 3-day pass (€ 16.50, grants you unlimited use of the public transit network for 3 days).

You will also walk a lot, so bring something you know is comfortable.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

i do plan to go for HO-HO bus as i personally feel that they are useful and gives some information also about different places, any suggestion i should opt for how many days.

The hotel i have selected is right next to a metro station so commuting should not be an issue if i have that unlimited public transport card, but thing is it worth it considering i will anyways going for HO-HO bus ?

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

HO-HO buses are only good to have an idea of the city's layout. They skip many sights that can't be reached and definitely aren't good as substitutes of the regular bus network...

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

The HO/HO buses in Rome don't get close to most sites because they are in pedestrian zones. You are better off with a regular public bus or walking.

Donna

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

We did HOHO our first trip to Rome. Not sure I would do it again. They have to stick to main large streets. I found http://www.roninrome.com/ to be very useful for public transit which is what we used on our trip last srping.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

thank you all

Other than HOHO, any idea of how to plan trip for 3 days ?? Like which sites to visit and the most easy order to cover them

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

Only you can decide which sites to see. Rome has hundreds to offer so grab a guide book and start making your list. Once you have a list we can help you put it in order.

]

Donna

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

Dear All

A quick advice, any tickets which needs to be pre-booked. I realised that you need for Vatican can you please help me as to how to go about it and any other tickets which needs to be pre-booked.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Rome in Sep

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

the only other site with long lines would be the colosseum. You don't say if you'll visit there or not.

Donna