We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahn VS Italia

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bahn VS Italia

Interesting to run the 1st class Deluxe sleeper on Bahn and Italia site. Italia is cheaper for the same train and options.

We are looking at a night train from Rome to Munich no stops. Same train and rooms, different prices. The saver fair was only $8 difference, the regular fair was $52.40 different. The Germans charge more! Figure!?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahn VS Italia

What italia site do you mean? The official site is trenitalia.

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahn VS Italia

Using a date of 6th November, I made the comparison: (for EuroNight 234 train)

Trenitalia - 2 persons in Economy double cabin € 376

DBahn - 2 persons in Economy double cabin € 328

What could happen is that you have chosen an incorrect classification, as the terminology in Trenitalia is way too confusing, in DBahn, it is much simpler, it is either Economy or Deluxe cabins

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahn VS Italia

I used Italia, not Trentitalia. There site is a pain!

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahn VS Italia

Italiarail.com is an agency which connects to Trenitalia.com's ticketing system.

You can switch Italiarail to showing prices in euros, then you can easily see that prices are exactly the same as on Trenitalia.com as it's connected to the same system! Italiarail can indeed be easier to use, though they charge a 3.50 euros fee (they'll refund this, I think, if you email them quoting TripAdvisor).

As to the same train being cheaper if booked on the Italian ticketing system as opposed to the German, this happens quite regularly with European trains.

The Paris-Munich TGV can be booked online with either the French or the Germans, and I've seen 39 euros on bahn.de when voyages-sncf wanted more like 69 euros for the same train.

A Vienna-Frankfurt ICE train can be booked with the Austrians or the Germans, I've seen 29 euros on www.oebb.at when www.bahn.de/en wanted 89 euros for the same train.

The moral of the story is, when you can book through two national operator sites, one at each end, try both as one if often cheaper than the other.

But always check ticket delivery arrangements! For example Trenitalia may well be cheaper than the Swiss sbb.ch for Zurich to Milan but you can't self-print international tickets bought at trenitalia.com, you have to collect them, and you can ONLY collect them from ITALIAN stations.

Edited: 04 September 2014, 07:03
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahn VS Italia

Someone sent me a link to your site and it helped explain plenty for a novice like me. There are so many options, that at times, it gets confusing! I love the prices and it allows you to go many places cheap. Reading your site, has made me want to use train more in Germany to see many things we may not have had the time to see in our two weeks there.

We plan on using Munich for our base and radiate out from there with day trips. Also would like to try Prague on a day trip, but wonder how many changes of train and what problems we will encounter. Seems like no direct trains to Prague.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bahn VS Italia

If you base yourself in Munich, there are direct train connections to Prague (ALX train), or a bus operated by Dbahn.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bahn VS Italia

How much time for bus and or train to Prague. We are based in Munich.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bahn VS Italia

Direct bus 4 hours 40 mins, direct ALX train 5 hours 45 mins.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
197 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bahn VS Italia

Thank you! Then it's doable.

10. Re: Bahn VS Italia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:16