We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome tours - best and fastest

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rome tours - best and fastest

What is the best tour to take for the coliseum and the vatican? We are staying for 3 days and want to take the best tours which avoid lines and are the best

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

You do not need a tour to skip the lines. On the Vatican's web site, you can book either a tour or else an entry ticket. See mv.vatican.va

The Colosseum is on a joint ticket with the Forum and the Palatine Hill. There are usually significantly shorter queues at the entries to the Forum/Palatine, so you can buy a ticket there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

The question isn't as simple as it seems. Both of these sights offer their own guides, there are dozens of tour companies that offer guided tours, and then there are private guides you could hire to show you around. Which one is "the best" depends on what you want. Do you want a general overview or an in depth scholarly investigation? Do you want to cover the basics or visit normally off limits areas such as the Scavi or the third tier? Do you want a guide who works well with children or one who knows all the famous movies shot around each sight? Once you've narrowed it down a bit, we can better help you find a good fit.

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

It is our honeymoon we are staying only 3 days in Rome. We want to basically see everything at our own pace but not having to wait in lines. I want to make the vatican tour and the colliseum tour as fast as possible without missing any details. Thank you!!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

This is how you book tickets for the Colosseum through the official site which is the cheapest way and no better or worse than the expensive tours.

www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

This is the link for official tours and tickets for the Vatican Museums

biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

I agree with Kathy. It sounds like you'll get the experience you're looking for with pre-booked admission tickets directly from the sights themselves. You won't have to stand in a ticket purchase line and you'll be able to tour each sight at your own pace as quickly as you'd like.

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

Thank you,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

Can I piggy back on this post? For those with kids, what tour would you recommend? Shorter:ish, taking in the major sights, kids 3-9 in age.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

I wouldn't recommend an organized overview tour. If you decide on Rome for your stopover, I'd choose a couple or three sights based on the kids' interests. Do you have a mythology fan or a budding archaeologist? Many kids are fascinated by the ruins at the Forum and the Palatine Hill. Is one of them an artist? I'd skip the Vatican crowds and go to a church such as Sant'Ignazio with its 3-D special effects ceiling. Sports fans would enjoy a visit to the Colosseum to see how closely it resembles the modern sports venues they see on TV. I'd do quick, focused, self-guided visits with a gelato break in between and Italian pizza for supper.

9. Re: Rome tours - best and fastest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 06:16