We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
747 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Counting the days to your trip to Italy?

Did you take the necessary precautions to prepare yourself for this wonderful trip. Did you read books, learned a little Italian, gleaned these boards, studied maps and train schedules, read about the gypsies. Did you get wonderful bits of information and wisdom with which to enjoy your day adventure. As "the Romans Do” sits on my night stand, I know what I’m packing, I’m tellin’ ya I think I’m good to go so now, I sit, and I count….(tick tock, tick tock, tick tock).So c’mon TripAdvisor Rome Forum family, anybody else willing to stand up and testify that they are closet counters too?

Inspired by the Tammmieland's threat which generated a wonderful atmosphere and gave me the pleasure and the strenght to create a periodical Roman Forum members meeting ( tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k76807… )

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Hi Em

We are going for 4 days but will only get 2 1/2 days there because of really early flight back home ( have to leave hotel at 7am )so we get none of the 3rd day, didn't realise this at time of booking , being the blonde I am!!!! So,......... so much to fit in, there are four of us, all women and we all have different tastes, some want shopping, some eating, drinking and relaxing. Me, I'm really into the archaeological history, all things ancient Rome, did an A level this year in Roman history so really keyed up to see the real thing.

Went to Rome 3 years ago on a day trip from Sorrento, didn't fit much in but briefly seen Vatican Museum. (not St Pietro.....which will see this time ) Colosseo but only outside, Catacombs ( which were great) But missed the Pantheon ( my must...must see) the Forum another must see, would love to do the Archaeo bus tour if time and Ostia ( but I'm just dreaming ....what in 2 days I hear you say !!! ??).

Another must see/do is to get pictures of all the Angels and Demons stuff for my 20 yr old son who is a huge fan of the book, especially all the Bernini stuff (the S. Maria del Popolo, Bernini's chapel ) and all the fountains earth, fire, water and air .....oh and the Quatro Fontane in Piazza Navona ...... ( Am I boring you ha ha ) As you can see the list is endless ! ..Little did I know that 3 yrs ago when I threw my coins in the Trevi fountain I would return., So hopefully will return again next year ( my friend is 40 nxt year so hoping for a girly weekend in Rome )

Did you do a trip report Em ? I must have read it if you did, will do a search and read it again.

Speak soon

Jess Uk

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Hi jess sounds like your trip time was similar to ours earlier this year !! arrived around lunchtime on the friday and left early monday morning ...saying that though we "crammed" an awful lot in the time we had !

didn't write a trip report as i wasn't on TA then but will certainly write one after ROME:part 2 ..next Feb !!

Whilst in Rome we managed to see the folowing

Day 1....spanish steps (wasn't taken by these)

Piazza del Popolo (a must in my mind mainly for the church

Santa maria del Popolo )

Trevi Fountain

Outside the Colosseum (at night A MUST)

Day 2.....The vatican museum

St Peter's

San Clemente

the outside of the Colosseum Again (my fave!)

Trevi (again!!!)

Day 3 ....The pantheon (via the Trevi!)

The Roman Forum

Campadoglio

Vittoria Emanuelle monument

Inside tha Colosseum (hmmm let me know what you think)

then the outside of it ..just once more !!!

like you next year there are 4 of us going (one will have just turned 40!) unlike this year when only 2 of us went ...we have been so the others wil have to go off and see the things we've already done (except vatican museum and st Peters as we will return there again !!) with us 2 are on phase 2 we have lot's more to see and do !! like your son i'm an Angels and Demons fan so this time i have to cross off Castel Sant'Angelo !

Hope i've not bored you too much with all this ?

XxEm

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Hey jessy. just courious......are u a teacher?

Make a research for Ostia Antica in this Forum u'll find the best way to get there but I'm afraid it would take a day anyway

ciao Ivano!!

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

XXVII days for me...getting excited....!!

Jane

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Hi everyone

XI days and counting !!!!

Getting excited !! just stressing over what to take as weather could be mixed. Have got a really Ann Twacky ( old fashioned --a Northern expression ) Kagool in a Bag that I had when I was about 10 yrs old !! which I might throw in the case for showers ( and ruin my street cred ! but who cares )

Have two nice gilet jackets and two pairs combats ( khaki and Grey ) couple of T-shirts and a knee length cardigan ( more like a coat - but not sure on this, it may be too bulky ) Didn't know whether to throw a pair of black trousers in for evening, but then would have to take another pair of shoes (which I don't really want to bother with, but can't wear smart trousers with walking boots ) .........Ohh I don't know !!! ........... I'm not worried about fashion just space in my case and warmth and comfort. No worries I'll cope LOL

Hi Em ..............your itinery sounds great might nick a few of your ideas, yes our times are exactly the same... don't think we will be going into the Colosseum either , only because of a time factor would rather spend that time in the Forum ( and one of out party is terrified of cats ! ) Will defo see it outside though specially, evening.

Hi Stettola...... What makes you think I'm a teacher ?? My intelligence !!?? LOL :) No I'm just a lowly student ( mature one ha )

I studied A -Level Ancient Greece and Rome over 2 years at evening class, also Roman Britain ( when we were civillised by the Emperor Claudius in 54 AD LOL )

Eylife ....have you got my email ???? sent to both addresses .....

Jess uk

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
747 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Hi Jessy,

got them and answered!

Sorry to hear that probably you are not going to join us.

I am faithfull!!

Ciao, Ivano

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Ciao Ivano

Molto grazie, I got your reply. very sweet of you, ciao for now

Jess UK

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
747 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

'comn.........

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock

Witty, Jessy, Vivebene, Aumon, Jane...............

What does it say your....tick tock??

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Hi Ivano,

Tick tock says.....24 days!!!!!

The weather hopefully will be warmer than last year in November....we were freezing....I had to buy a beautiful coat in Firenze....poor me!

Kathy

Opelika
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: ROME and Roman numeral .....tick tock, tick tock

Ciao Ivano,

Tick, tock...IX days and counting.