We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ridge, New York
Level Contributor
158 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

We will be on a cruise this October, has anyone been to the ports of Santorini and Mykonos? Would like any info about sightseeing without taking the expensive cruise tours... Thanks..

Orlando
Level Contributor
856 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

You will probably get much better results by posting this in the Greece forum....Or even better....check out the CRUISE portion of Trip Advisor. You could also check CRUISECRITIC.COM, this is a website that is totally dedicated to everything there is to know about cruises and they have forums very similar to TripAdvisor.

Athens
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

I 've been to both of these islands and both are very beautiful. During October the islands will not be crowded, and this is good! Both island are very windy so make sure you'll always carry a jacket with you especially duting night. No local guide is required...you can just buy one from a bookstore and you'll be fine. I suggest you to rend either a car or a moto bike to moove around. Santorini's port if quite far from the main island. You'll have to take a car or a taxi. The best place to stay is at Imerovigli (best view of the island) which is only one kilometer away from Fyra, the capital of Santorini. By rending a car you'll get the chance to go to every single village. Fyra, Imerovigli and Ia are the most popular places to go. Don't forget to visit the volcano as well and don't forget to buy some wine (excellent wines VINSANTO is the most popular one and it is natular sweet). While in Myconos, the mail island is the most popular place which is right next to the port. You can walk from the port to the main island. Right next to the port there is a free parking, very convenient in case you hire a car. Beautiful beaches and lots of fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

As suggested, you will be better off posting either in the Cruise Forums or Greece Forums (Santorini/Mykonos). Also check out www.cruisecritic.com and you will find a lot of information there.

We visited both islands last year on our Galaxy Med cruise. Of the 2, Santorini was our favorite!

We just got off the ship in Mykonos and walked along the shore to the little town. Lots of little shops along the alleys to shop in! We had friends that rented ATV vehicles and drove out to the beach but it was very windy that day so they didn't actually get to enjoy the beach. I bought some nice Greek jewelry in a little windmill shop. If the ruins are open you can visit there.

Santorini, absolutely gorgeous. You MUST visit Oia! Absolutely spectacular scenery. Everyone told us that but you have to go there and see for yourself.

While I agree that you can tour on your own and/or rent a vehicle for the day, I would highly recommend a tour there. I can give you the name of a tour guide that a friend of mine used and she absolutely raved about him.

If you go to the Cruise Critic boards, click open the "Boards" category on the top left side of the page, then scroll down to the "Roll Call" category, find your cruise line, then your ship and date of your cruise, you will find others going on the same cruise. You may also find people looking to share a tour of a particular port. You could probably join a private tour or start your own and have others share the cost with you. It is very inexpensive doing it this way. The cruise ship tours are very expensive and we booked all our own private tours in most of the ports.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any other information.

May

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Parapono, I have a question for you. I noticed that you are from Athens. I have a friend that is going to be visiting Athens for a day on a cruise next July 2007 with her family. She will be taking 8 grandchildren ranging in age from 10-18. She does not like the computer so I have offered to help her find tours, etc. for Athens and some of the other ports.

My friend has been to Athens before but not the rest of the family. What would you suggest that a group of their size (14) do to enjoy all the sights of Athens? Can you recommend a tour guide that would be able to accommodate a group of their size to take them to the sights (Acropolis, etc.) I have contacted a few taxi drivers already but they do not have prices yet for 2007 so tell me to contact them after the first of the year.

I know this isn't the right place to post but just saw your Athens address! Thanks for any help.

May

Ridge, New York
Level Contributor
158 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Thank you all for your great info....appreciate it. If you have that name of the tour guide in Santorini, let me know, Thanks again...

California
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

We are also going to these Isands on a Cruise (Celebrity Galaxy Oct.6th sailing) and would love to plan some excursions with you if you are on the same cruise. There are 4 of us (2 adult couples) traveling. We would love to see as much of Santorini as posssible.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Hi crazyfornaples and cruznjill,

If you want to email me I can give you that info.

email: socolady@msn.com

Please put Not Spam in Subject line so I don't delete.

We were on the Galaxy also & I can give you other tours we took if you like.

If it's the same itinerary we had, you will absolutely love that cruise. I still think about it every day.

May

Ridge, New York
Level Contributor
158 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Hi cruznjill... we will be on the same cruise Oct. 6. (2 adults) I booked the Santorini tour from the ship, don't know if I did the right thing, it's the "Village of Oia, Santorini Island and Wine Tour" (inasmuch as Oia was highly recommended to see) It seemed pretty reasonable $64. each. I will email May Zee for her tour guide. (can always cancel the ship tour). When we get to Livorno, I printed the "trenitalia" schedule for Lucca and Pisa (we had been to Florence) Also in Rome, we opted to take the train from the port and take the narrated 2 hour bus (15 E each) The ships tours in Rome were way to expensive. We only have a half day in Rome as our hotel is in Naples... When the ship gets to Naples we are taking the ferry (it's in the same port) to Sorrento.. If you want more info or can give me info, please write... Thanks

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Im also on galaxy Oct 6th. What is name of tour guide you recommended. Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini, Mykonos, Greece

Here are a couple of tour guides for Santorini:

http://www.oceanwavetours.com/maps.html

http://www.santorinidaytours.com/

http://www.santorini-tour.com/

We took an all-day tour w/ Ocean Wave Tours. We paid E50.00 pp, but that was this past October. We had 16 passengers in a minivan. We toured the whole island, including visiting the Santos Winery. You must visit Oia as it is very beautiful there. Most of the tours take you there. There is lots of shopping along the main street of Fira. You can either take the funicular to the top, which charges E3.50 pp each way or you can take the donkeys up.

Enjoy your cruise.