We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress as you prefer

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dress as you prefer

Before starting visiting this Forum I didn't realize how much a "dress code" is almost a worry for many of the tourists who visit Rome. Ok let's see: truth is one can say where a person comes from by a general look. In Rome we usually know who's a foreigner and grossly where they come from (we have a life to train at this sport). The times I travelled to USA they usually knew I was from Europe even before I said anything. My Us friends keep telling me I'm too dressy even tho to my eyes a simple skirt and top don't look so.

Now, all this considered, I'd like to add a few notes:

- we don't all dress Armani or other stylists

- we live: we go to work and to school (so we like to stay comfortable too)

- jeans are normality for all ages

- teen agers are globalized and dress as any other kid out of Italy

- shoes: well we are clever at making good leather shoes, but if it comes to sport shoes the brands are two mostly, as you all know (only they cost much more here). White sport shoes are fine as long as they are clean. Sandals like Birkenstok were for German tourists but now we found out they are comfy, the same for flip flops that were "only" for the beach once.

- gym suit (or warm up) are ok if you are going to Gym not to do a "passeggiata" at Via del Corso. But if somebody wears one who cares?? Maybe he/she is going to do sport.

- If you are too dressy again who cares...who knows you might be going to a wedding

- Colours matching, mmmmm, yes we match colours nicely don't ask me why. Anyway Benetton thought us colours can be matched in all ways so you still see a lot of black around but only because it's the easiest way to dress early in the morning: black trousers/pants or skirt with any colour shirt/sweater and there u go.

What else.....I don't know ...you ask and you'll get an answer. But please relax!!!

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress as you prefer

This post is perfect. I hope everyone reads it.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress as you prefer

Grazie Domini.

I forgot to say a couple of things: use common good sense.....

1) if you enter a church you know how to behave/dress (even if most of ours are masterpieces of art remember they "are" places for worship)

2) gosh, when I remember I'll tell you........oh mamma mia, sorry!!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress as you prefer

Thanks for posting this Stettola. Many people do seem to worry about what to wear when going to Italy. I think it is because of the fashion industry that is so huge there. Personally, I don't think about what to wear. I think about what to see when I am there. I guess if I was going to Rome to find a husband, then I might worry about my appearance more. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it would be important not to look like a tourist. However, I can give a lot of good reasons for dressing comfortably, especially when it comes to shoes!!! Thanks !

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress as you prefer

do you really say mamma mia in Rome???? After some very lame television commercials here, it seems to me like that sounds more American/Italian than Italian !! Ciao mia amica

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress as you prefer

Witty, oh mamma mia, it's me.........I'm an old fashioned lady ahiahiahi!! We say Mamma very often tho

La mamma è sempre la mamma Mom is always mom

6. Re: Dress as you prefer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2006, 23:40
knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress as you prefer

Stettola, Thank you for you post. I'm travelling to Rome in March and yes I have worried about what to wear. At home I always dress nice even when I wear my jeans. I love sweaters and hope I can wear them there in March. Thanks for the info about shoes, I have to say I have learned comfort above anything else. I use to wear only "pretty" shoes now I'm all for comfort. I think most of the people here only want to fit in and not totally stand out. Like we won't stand out with our bags, maps, and tour books. Thank you for helping us out.

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress as you prefer

Even without the bags, maps and tour books you will be obvious as soon as your attempt your first word.

You are a tourist and there is nothing wrong with looking like one. If you attempt anything else, you will only look like a tourist trying to not look like a tourist.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress as you prefer

There is nothing wrong with looking like a tourist, hello we are tourists:) but I don't fault anyone for asking about how people dress. I think it's a good thing. We americans get slammed so often for not being considerate of other cultures.

That being said comfort doesn't mean sloppy.

Wittyone you are too funny. Most of the people asking about dress codes are married so they are not looking for husbands. ha.

I do try to dress up a little more in Rome only because it is not as casual as L.A. I like the change in pace.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress as you prefer

Cass you are welcome.

Caribbean I didn't mean to make anyone feel faulty....just wanted to make you relax and feel the welcome in Rome anyway you dress.

I'm anxious myself, you know, first time I went back to Chicago after 20 years I brought a big case with too many elegant dresses. What did I think I was doing? I wore half of them. So I learned the lesson: nice but comfy from then on.

About Americans being slammed off....I'm sorry if that happens. You look "young" and we feel "old" so never mind if you find some presumptous people, they can be found in every Country. As long as you come with open heart and eyes you'll be the welcome anyhow you are dressed.

Enjoy Rome, ciao