We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private tour guides?

liny
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
private tour guides?

will be going to rome for the first time this november. some friends have recommended using private guides for the vatican et al. how expensive is this, and how worth the $ is it?

also, any reccommendations highly appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: private tour guides?

We booked Angel Tours for a private Vatican tour. We had 2 groups of 8 each and one guide per group. We loved the tour. They quote E25.00 pp for a 3 hour tour but ours ended up being 4 hours and no extra charge. Admission to Vatican is E12.00 pp and you pay at the door. You don't have to pay Angel Tours until you finish the tour. They speak excellent English. They also do other tours. Check their website for further information.

www.angeltoursrome.com

We did the Colosseum w/ one of their guides and we were not all that happy with that tour. It was very inexpensive and lasted about 1 1/2 hours. However, we had 40 in our group and frequently were in the back of the group and couldn't hear everything the guide was saying. She was difficult to understand also.

I am sure that others will recommend other guides but we were satisfied w/ Angel Tours.

liny
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: private tour guides?

thanks for the reply!

guess i should have added that it will be just my wife and i

NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: private tour guides?

My mother and I used Vatican Tours and Beyond for the private 5 hour tour. Pricey but well worth it. Didn't wait in line and we also got to see the Workshop of the Mosaics.

Not 100% on this but from what I could tell our guide was an "offical" Italian tour guide based on the ID he had with him. He seem to know everyone at the Vatican.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private tour guides?

On my recent Honeymoon we used Francesca Caruso [chris.fra@mclink.it] for a private tour of the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters. We also used her for a 3 hour ancient Rome tour. She was excellent and well worth the $. She speaks very fluent English and loves her Rome. Can't say enough good things about her. We obtained her name from the Rick Steves Rome guide book.

In Florence we used Vatican Tours and Beyond on 2 seperate days and we also enjoyed the guides very much.

Good Luck and have a great trip!!

Covington, Louisiana
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: private tour guides?

Morning!

We used Romewalks and Cynthia made it one of the highlights of y trip. $66.00 euros per person, including the tickets.

Tammie

6. Re: private tour guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 04:19