We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

Hi, We will be in Rome in February and are considering staying in convent or monastery accommodation. If anybody has stayed in this type of accommodation and has any suggestions, do's/don'ts it would be appreciated.

There will be 3 adults and one child staying.

Any hints or tips would be most welcome please.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,072 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,853 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,650 reviews
from US$57.40*
Pitman, New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

I recently stayed at Casa Il Rosario and it was a good experience. It was very conveniently located to both the Termini trains and to the historic areas of the city. I don't know if children are able to stay but it wouldn't be hard to find out.

This website gives basic information on several options at convents:

santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

Hi Bobalo,

We are a family of 5 and also considering staying at a convent. From everything I have read It sounds great (highly recommended), it is just a matter of picking one. My husband is the one that is not so sure, he is thinking they are all like hospital envirnoments. He only wants to stay for 1 or 2 nights, the rest of us think this will be a great experience. We want to experience different things while in Italy and this is one of them.

Ijan, do you know if you can get rooms with bathrooms in them at Casa II Rosiaro? Can you confirm for my husband that they are not like hospitals.

Pitman, New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

The room I had did not have a private bath, but some rooms did. My single room was very spartan but it had a sink, a good reading lamp and a small desk. It suited my needs perfectly. I did not see any of the larger rooms, but everyone I talked with was happy with their stay.

The public areas were very nice. There was a lounge area in the second floor with comfortable seating where a group of us gathered and shared travel stories one evening, and a really beautiful courtyard outside that was quiet and private. On the ground floor, there was a breakfast room (and a decent breakfast, with cereals and not just bread) and there was a room with a computer where you could check email for a small donation on the honors system.

As you would expect, it was generally peaceful, but I sure wouldn't call it hospital-like! Again, I don't know what the expectations are with children, or how old your kids are, but I would expect they'd need to be well-mannered and unobtrusive for a stay at a place like this. You can judge whether it is a good option for your family.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

Thank you ijan & love SFO for your comments. They sound fairly basic from what I've seen but that's ok. As long as they are clean and friendly I don't mind. We just want somewhere clean, with a bed, private bathroom and somewhere that's fairly central, and not too expensive. I was a bit shocked though, I thought because they were pretty basic they would be a lot cheaper but so far I haven't found that. If that is the case I'd prefer to stay in a low star hotel/B&B.

I was given the name this website, you can look this up if you like, loveSFO. It doesn't mention prices though. www.brigidine.org/ENG/italia.htm#rome

Good Luck as soon as I find one I am sure about I will let you know.

5. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2006, 16:30
God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

BOBALO,

We stayed at the Istituto S Guiliana Falconeri Convent twice.

They are right in front of the Piazza Navona (about 1 minute walk to the fountains) and 1 block from the Corso ( one of the main east-west boulevards that leads directly to St. Peters Basicila.

We did not have an en suite bath but it was right outside our corner room on the second floor.

The nuns were very nice, the room was large and very comfortable. I highly recommend it for convenience to many of the main tourist attractions, restaurants and churches.

Regards,

Martha

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

Hi Martha sounds good. Thanks for the tip I will contact them.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

BOBALO,

This is some information I was given on a previous post;

I highly suggest it. The rooms aren't much. Some don't have televisions, but it's a great experience. Some convents have private bathrooms, but others don't.

The Sisters of St. Dorothy have a wonderful place 9with private bathrooms) on Via Paolo VI located directly across the street from St. Peter's Square. GORGEOUS! I think the curfew is at 11 p.m.

Istituto Maria Santissima Bambina

Via Paolo VI, No. 21

00120 Città del Vaticano

Phone: 39.06.6989.3511

Fax: 39.06.6989.3540

e-mail: imbspietro@mariabambina.va

E-mail is probably your best bet because there are a few workers there who speak English, but most of the sisters do not.

The Briggitine sisters also have a nice place. It helps that I have a special fondness for Mother Thecla, the superior of the convent.

Casa Di Santa Brigida

Piazza Farnese 96

00186 Rome

Phone: 39.06.6889.2596

Fax: 39.06.6821.9126;

e-mail: brigida@mclink.it

There are so many options. There are also several books with listings and reviews of the various convents and monastaries which accept guests.

I am in the process of contacting a few. I will try to let you know any info I get.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

I always stay at Casa Beata Margherita Caiani, which is only a 10-min. walk to St. Peter's and the Vatican. A very safe location (Prati zone). Closest Metro stop: Ottaviano. The convent is also a block away from a wonderful shopping street called Cola di Rienzo, plus there's a traditional Italian deli/gourmet food store called "Franchi" (also only one block away) where you can get terrific, take-out food from morning to evening. The rooms are simple & no-frills... no TVs/ radios, you have to use the public phone downstairs, etc., but they are extremely clean and have private bathrooms. There is, however, a hard and fast 10:30 pm curfew, and no meals are served. The rates are anywhere from 60-90 Euro. The nuns are great, but only one speaks English. Here's their contact info if you can get someone to fax you a reservation request in Italian: Fabio Massimo, 26, Rome Tel. 39 06 324 2984 Fax. 39 06 324 2914.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome: Convent &/or monastery accommodation

There is a wonderful book called BED AND BLESSINGS, ITALY published by Paulist Press. Each description of a convent or monastery includes a listing/description of the rooms, which meals are served, the price, whether credit cards are accepted, which languages are spoken, what facilities are included (elevator, TV, etc.), season opened, directions from the train/bus station, and the address, phone number and fax number (if one exists). There is a map locating each facility that goes with each description. There is also good general information included and a fax form on the last page to use in requesting information or a reservation. I bought this book in the Travel section of one of the big chain book stores.