We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

I saw a note regarding the crypt on 'enjoy rome city guide' but at the time of writing, it was closed for refurbishment.

Does anyone know if it will be open before the 18th Nov? I would love to see it!

Thanksx

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Hi psyco.......... :)

It is open and worth to see.

Ciaooooooo

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

eylife, I thank you too, it's one of my favourite places in Rome-or at least it was when I was a child!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Oh thank goodness! My teenagers have this on their must see list.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Recently returned from Rome. Yes it is open.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

The crypt has got to be the most unusual site I've ever witnessed. It was certainly worth the visit. What prompted the "artist" to arrange human remains in such a fashion? What was the intent? I know the message, "what I am, you will become". Is this the essence of the display? One could call the use of bones as they are, abuse of a corpse. It feels almost wrong that these remains have not been properly laid to rest by the Church. Anybody have a good understanding of this crypt?

usa
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

You may want to read the info posted in this site:

www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html

The crypt is open every day but Thursday, from 9 to noon and 3 to 6.

It is an interesting though a bit bizarre experience. The restaurants in that area tend to be a bit expensive but one that is good and reasonable is 'il Peperone' about a block up from the Crypt on Via Veneto. Note that you can walk there from the corner of the "quattre Fontane" on the east or from P. di Spagna on the South.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Located under the Santa Maria della Immacolata Concezione on Via Veneto 27, a church commissioned by Pope Urban XIII in 1626. The pope's brother, Cardinal Antonio Barberini, who was of the Capuchin order, in 1631 ordered the remains of thousands of Capuchin monks exhumed and transferred from the friary Via dei Lucchesi to the crypt. The crypt now contains the remains of 4,000 monks buried between 1500-1870, during which time the Papal States permitted burial in and under churches. The underground crypt is divided into five chapels lit only by dim natural light seeping in through cracks, and small fluorescent lamps which cast strange shadows. Macabre but a hit with the kids.

Torur 9 a.m. - noon, then 3 to 6 p.m. Friday - Wednesday. It's free entry, but they ask for a donation

" What you are now, we once were; what we are now, you will be."

Once again....worth to visit

Ciao,Ivano

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Dreamin' - I agree with you! I'd love to have been there when someone first floated the idea. "I know! We've got all these SKELETONS, so instead of reburying them, let's take them apart and create DESIGNS with them!!! And for the ones that aren't bones YET, let's set some of them up in the MIDDLE of the designs!" Did anyone there react, "WHAT? Are you CRAZY??"

Our favorite part was the woman at the entrance who vigorously tapped coins against the counter, calling out, "Donaysh! Donaysh!"

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

Dreamin: you have to remember when they started doing this it was at a time when life was more precious and more precarious than today; people were dying of plage on a regular basis and it was common to keep your ancestors, or in this case your brethren, close by for comfort and to look after them in troubled times. Death was also much closer to people on a daily basis than it is to us now.

When they started making the crypt it was exactly that--a crypt, not a tourist attraction as it is now.

There is one church in Rome, Santa Maria dell' Orazione e delle Morte that was founded to pick up the corpses that had been abandoned on the streets of the city and give them a decent burial; they buried ,in their crypt,8000 bodies in 300years.

10. Re: Crypt of Cappucini Monks...open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 17:22