We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Hi every body

This is my 3rd and 4th days in Rome. We had an early flight home on the 4th day so not much of it but the 3rd was very eventful !

DAY THREE Fri 3rd November

Set my alarm for 6.30am today as mum and I wanted to go to mass at 8am, our friends decided to come at the last minute. I thought it would be nice at The Pantheon knowing that it is the church of Santa Maria ad Martyres I presumed there would be an early mass, as in most Catholic churches. we planned to get the metro but we were running late, so I asked reception to call a taxi, I also asked if I could take out breakfast, The lady that waited on in the breakfast room was fine about it, but the guest behind me in the queue was huffing and puffing at me loading 4 pastries into a bag.

As we took a taxi the previous night from Corso to Pyramid for 8e's we presumed it would be a similar price, ( by the way the taxi driver that brought us home the previous night was so nice, and chatty, he even opened the doors for us and we regretted not taking his mobile number) Anyway, the taxi that turned up was not an official one, it seemed a bit of an old jalopy ( british slang :: clapped out .

Kaput ) but as it was now 7.50am we had no choice but to take it. He was a very aggressive driver, banging his horn and the wheel, and would not engage in any conversation. He took us through tiny streets that were blocked with delivery vans and he would be beeping and cursing. Any way he dropped us right outside to the right of The Pantheon, and charged 14 e's, a big difference from the previous night !!

Soon as I saw the Pantheon( by this time it was 8.10am ) I was over whelmed with emotion, it was on my MUST see list ( mum had already seen it, it was her 3rd time in Rome .... those coins in the fountain DO work ) Seeing it early morning and no crowds was awesome ! The sun was pouring in the Piazza della Rotonda from behind the Pantheon and hitting the fountain an awesome sight ( sorry waffling again, ) ......

Any way we arrived at the door and there was a barrier across and I could see there was no mass, the 2 chaps in the glass booth looked at us as though we were Aliens , I explained I thought there was a mass and he freaked out ,shouting that they were open at 8.30, I explained we were Catholic looking for a mass not just tourists, he still went on. I got quiet upset at his attitude and started to cry ( don't get me wrong I don't usually get upset by rude men, it was just the emotion of the moment, seeing the Pantheon, I was bordering on tears then, and feeling guilty that I'd dragged every one out early ) he walked off an my friends and mum comforted me, I think it was months of exitement and stress all flooding out. My friend shouted after him that he was a very rude man. Then after a couple of minutes he came back and his attitude had softened, he asked if I was ok and directed us to other churches that had mass, the two we tried did not have mass till 10am,

So we went back to Rotunda and decided to get a coffee at Mc donalds and eat our pastries sat at the fountain, little did we know Mcd's don't sell coffee ! ( I presume it would take business off the other cafes ) they don't do bacon and egg muffins either !! ( sorry not very cultured I know but I love 'em ! and I was upset !!! thats my excuse !! ) We ate our pastries with water from the drinking fountain and by this time the Pantheon was open.

We entered and the "rude man " gave us a big smile, inside was fabulous,better than I had imagined, spent about 3/4 hour looking round took loads of pics etc. By this time it was about 9.30 and we decided to split up our friends wanted to go back to try the Sistene Chapel again ( afer not getting in the previous day ) Mum and I ambled round the square sitting on the wall then went in a nice little cafe to right and had cappuccino's only 2.50e whereas 4.50 on square ( i'm not penny pinching had plenty to spend but don't like getting ripped off !!)

Looked at my guidebook and realised one of the churches we had looked for mass was San Luigi dei Francesi and housed Caravaggio paintings, went in and strolled round and came to them again I was very emotional. They were the Calling of St Mathew , The Martyrdom of St Mathew and Mathew and the Angel. then strolled to Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, seen Bernini's elephant. and inside Michelangelo's Christ Bearing the Cross . Bought some postcards with these works of art on. Then ambled to Piazza Navona the Fountain of the Four Rivers was boarded up which was disappointing my son wanted pics of that ( Angels and Demons freak!!! and me )The square looks so different in the day bit dissapointing, its fabulous by night!

We then headed back to Rotonda, and cut through to Corso we were going to get the Metro to Colosseo, ( on the way, a little side street with a Spar super market really reasonable, got 5 packs of Pocket Coffee !! ) But seen the Vittoriano Monument and realised we could walk easy. Glad we did else would have missed Trajens Column and markets, I'm a real Ancient history buff, so spent a while there, was very quiet, not busy at all.

While i was stood snappinfg away at photos , I noticed mum talking to a lady with children and a man running fast along the pavement, went to see what was up, The lady said her husband had been pickpocketed and he had ran after them, turned out that 2 girls tried to sell them someting and held ther hands to stop them walking off, then held a card with prices on in front of their faces. The chap, still refusing to buy pulled away, next thing he checked his front trouser pocket and his money had gone so chases them. He then came back huffing and puffing with his money in hand, he caugtht them and confronted them and they gave it back saying that he dropped it so they picked it up. Luckily with it not being busy they could not disappear in the crowd.

That drama over we headed to the Forum which again was awesome my favourite after The Pantheon, was getting on for 2pm by now so rang our pals to tell them where we were. They had tried the Sistene, queued up for ages, then turned away about 12.20pm as it was closing ( earlier in Winter ) They had gone back to the hotel, for a rest ( think they were at a loose end being 1st time in Rome and I had the guidebook ) Then my money on my Pay-as u-go ran out , that call cost me £5 !!!! ( my phone kept changing networks every yime I switched on !! ) my son later told me you get charged for that.Any way they knew we were at the Forum, but we did not meet up all day ( they did get there, but we missed each other

By now after good stroll round Forum it was 3.30pm so got tickets for Palatine Big mistake !!!!!! should have gone to Capitoline ( I told you my head was all over the place ) 11e for me, which included Colosseo but would not have time to go any way !!!! as it was 3.30 closing. My mum got in free with being an EU pensioner, she showed photo copy of passport, but she kindly split the cost with me, after much refusal from me, but she said I'd payed the Taxi in the morning.. Any bit disappionted , did not know what I was looking at. Went in the Palatine museum for 10mins then got threw out as it was closing, so big waste of time and money.

Sat underaArch of Constantine to see if we could spot our pals coming out of Colosseo ( thought they might have gone there ) but no luck 5pm and decided to head back to Hotel, we were only 2 stops away..Got talking to an Irish family on metro they were lovely. Bit of a drama on Metro, I thought someone had fell near the door as it closed, turned out, so this Irish chap said, gypsies picked a pocket, what they do is whip a wallet out back pocket just as someone gets off, and drop it on the floor, the doors then shut and the gypsies picked the wallet up ....I did nnt see but saw a commotion.

Reached Piramide looking forward to a nice meal later, the roads were very busy, any way, walking on the pavement which was quite uneven, seen mum through the corner of my eye fall, it all happened so quick, she was literally flat on her face, I was so scared and screamed Oh no!!!!!. A lovely Italian lady stopped and helped me get my mum up she was very shaken and blood was pouring from her nose. the lady wanted to call an ambulance but mum insisted no ,she gave us a pack of tissues and left after mum insisting she was ok but I knew she wasn't I was sure she had broke her nose, she just wanted to get back to the hotel. Strange when you need a taxi there never is one !! I once commented on how many taxis there were in Rome. any way another lady passed ( not many people around ) and I asked her were to get a taxi and she just pointed and carried on walking. I presume d she meant the station so I told mum not to move and I run Back to the station , no taxis in sight run back and saw mum surrounded by 5 Italian men all shouting, I thought they were about to rob her and I thought surely not, But they were trying to help and wanted to lead her off to a bar to sit down and get cleaned up and another was arguing to phone an ambulance. Mum got quite panicked and upset, telling them she was waiting for me, as I would not know were they had taken her , I think they thought she was alone. then this Italian guy started shouting at me for leaving her alone, they were genuinely concerned, anyhow told them I was looking for a Taxi and they kindly flagged one for us.

got back to hotel and had to walk the 3 flights of stairs to room lay mum down on the bed made hot cup of sweet tea and put freshen-up wipes in mini bar and kept a cold compress on eyes and nose. Bleeding had stopped by now and luckily it was just a bust nose, not broken and a little cut on her lip, and bridge of her nose were her glasses had dug in..By now about 6pm and mum had a sleep, kept an eye on her though. Went to knock on pals door and they were still out, came in 1/2 hour later and I told them what happened. Mum slept till 7.30pm, I said I would stay in an get a pizza with her but she insisted on going out for dinner Went Insalata Riccas round the corner ( 9pm) and mum was fine, very very lucky could have been a lot worse, we laughed about the 5 Italian guys arguing over her and telling me off ( my mum is a tough lady ) was in hotel by 10pm and threw every thing in cases for early start home in morning then went to bed. What a day !!!!

DAY FOUR sat 4th nov

Not much to say about today as we left hotel at 7.15am, Except mum did not have black eyes which we thought she would, she was fine. Asked hotel to ring a taxi to Termini ( was dreading getting that same bloke with the jalopy !!) but no, it was a nice official taxi and a nice friendly chap that chatted all the way of how much he love London and cheap flights,Terravision was a little late leaving Termini ( 8am should have left at 7.45 ) but every thing fine. little rushed at Ciampino long queues, no time for duty free or coffee, just had to get straight on plane........

Well thats it what an eventful few days in Rome...... This time last week were strolling down Via Condotti just gone by in a flash..

So jealous of all you lucky people that are ready for the off,, but I will return ..maybe spring, there was so much that I missed ( mum said she,s too old for sightseeing now think it put her off, wants a relaxing holiday next time. We ;ve seen Venice this year too and Lake Garda last year ) but seen most of my must sees....Any questions just fire away will be glad to help if I can!!

Jess UK

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,193 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Metro'
Metro'
26 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Monumento ai caduti per la causa di Roma Italiana
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Statua Marforio
Monuments & Statues
Tempio Rotondo al Foro Boario
Ancient Ruins, Architectural Buildings, Monuments & Statues
Norfolk England
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Jess, you and your mum are such stars! What fabulous attitudes! You must get so much our of life having such a positive attitude - well done you for not letting your mishaps get you down!

Hope you threw plenty of coins in the Trevi so that you get back to beautiful Roma really quickly!

Jane xxx

Mentioned in this post
Roma
Roma
Rome, Italy
God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Jessybobs,

If you want an early Mass when you return next spring you might want to try the GESU or St. Peter's.

Both have Mass & confession all day as well as art work and relics.

Regards

Martha

Delawhere?
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Oh Jess, you weren't kidding when you said the last day was very eventful! Lucky you that none of the incidents were too severe, those are the kinds of things that make for a very memorable holiday. Ten years from now you can say "Remember when we were in Rome and ......." and still get a chuckle out of it. Hope your mom is ok and that in time she will be ready for sightseeing again. Have to remind myself that I can't get coffee at Mickey Dee's, but then again I can get that here so no big loss. And after reading your reaction to seeing the Pantheon, I can't wait to see it for myself. My daughter (15) and I will have almost 3 full days so I want to see as much as possible. I agree with Jane, you and your mom are such troopers to not let anything stand in the way of enjoying yourselves!(ps- I do feel bad for your friends, missing out on the Sistene twice)

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,193 Reviews
Rome, Italy
rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Jess, bello report. Hope your mom is fine by now.

You made such a vivid scene of what happened to you I can easily figure out your mom sorrounded by shouting men (not understanding a word of what they said?)

I must say we try to help when we can and we also like drama a lot. Had she gone in the bar she would have been seated, cleaned, put ice cubes on her head, given water and after a cognac to drink.

Happy anyway no bones were broken and you kept such a positive attitude. Not only your mom is though u are too, brava!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Wow, Jess, this is a better read than Angels & Demons!!! I enjoyed it so much - I was there with you all the way, it was so descriptive. Hope your Mum is okay, sounds a bit like mine. When we went four years ago, she badly stubbed her toe on the cobbles -we thought she'd broken it but she hobbled round all day like a real trooper. I'm afraid you're going to be extremely jealous now - I've just booked four days in Rome before Christmas (13 - 16 Dec) and a week next June. Might see you there!!!

England
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Hi Jess

Great report. As our trips overlapped I am so glad you also had a fantastic time. The sunshine was lovely although it did get rather chilly at night. It seems we caught the change from hot summer to chillier winter weather!

Gloria

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

That was great, I echo Jane. Your discription of your first sight of the Pantheon made me feel a shudder. I never had that feeling when I saw it over and over in the years I lived there, I think it was 'normal' for me, that can happen. But I remembered I had had much the same feeling when I first saw St. Peter's in the distance. So, thank you for giving me that back after all these years!!

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,193 Reviews
Rome, Italy
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

What a day! Glad your mom was OK and didn't need any treatment.

Too bad about the rude ones at the Pantheon.

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,193 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Tampa, FL USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

Hi Jess,

Thank you for the wonderful trip report. Sorry to hear about your Mum. That happened to me once on a trip, I stumbled and sprained my ankle. It didn't swell up or hurt until the next day, however, so I was able to "carry on".

I bought an Italian phrase book that has some choice words that I plan to use for "rude men" and pickpockets. :>) One thing I am worried about -- and I leave in 3 hours -- is that I won't find the machine to buy Roma Pass at Terminal C of airport and the hotel shuttle will be sitting there waiting for me --- or not! I am bringing some euros though, in case we have to get a taxi.

I really appreciate the tip from your report -- about getting started early because things close early or close down for afternoon.

Ciao,

Fran

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip report part 2 ..Jess

hi all

Thanks every one for your kind words mum is fine now, just shook up at the time.

Jane ..............yes thre plenty of coins in the Trevi, want to see those Caravaggio's at del Popolo !!

Mhot............. Thaks for info on the churches, I should have checked on here before I went

Stetolla............... Mum just panicked, she thought if they took her into a bar that I would not find her, as I was looking for a Taxi. It was obvious they were concerned, and we were grateful, especially the kind lady that gave tissues.

guess you don't have any law suits in Italy In the Uk people sue left right and centre if they fall on uneven pavements. the strange thing

was she had managed all the cobbles around the forum, and fell on a relatively flat pavement.

Chris ....lucky you ...! I can't wait to get back

Gloria ....... our paths may have crossed,, yes really warm when we arrived on the 1st Nov, then dropped cold all at once, back up to 20C again this week though !

Roma ......Yes was awesome feeling to see Pantheon because I've studied ancient Rome at A-Level . the dream became reality ., how long did you live in Rome ?? was it for work ?? I would love to live and work in Rome , have they many hairdressing jobs ??

Fran .....you are so lucky might be there soon Buon viaggio

Jess UK

Mentioned in this post
Roma
Roma
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,193 Reviews
Rome, Italy