We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Well, I have returned and I am still quite exhausted. I am trying to make this a good trip report, but my poor old mind is still reeling from all the wonderful places that we saw and all the wonderful people that we met. And of course, the fact that I had to tip my wine glass so many times to all my wonderful forum family, made me a little starry eyed !!! Well, in a land where the wine, food, and hospitality flows like the sparkling water from the Trevi fountain, what else can one do??? Before trying to recap my magical journey, I want to thank all of you again---because without you, I would not have learned so much beforehand and I would have floundered at every turn. To Cinzia, Roma72, my Queenofhearts,Soloroma, SPQR, Em, Anemone,Jesse, Katie,Navarra, Sophie,Nolana,Tiber, Vivebene,Eylife, EnglishJane,Tabby,Domini,Anon in Florence,and to all the others on here--the list is sooooo long---you are the best of the best and I never forgot any of you while I was there. This site is so informative and the recommendations are wonderful and it feels like home for me.

Day One--November 5

Arrived about an hour and a half late in Rome. U.s. Air was really good except I thought the seats were not as comfortable as AA. We had a non-stop flight however from Philadelphia to Rome, so that was a treat. Our driver from the Hotel Centro's personal service was waiting for us at the airport. He was very friendly--spoke some English-and pointed out some of the sites en-route to the hotel, including where he lived. I was able to use my special learned phrase from Cinzia during the ride--Porca Miseria--which he was tickled over. Arrived at the hotel around 10:30 A.M. and they let us check in early. We dropped our bags and took off. My first goal was to see the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, and I was truly amazed. A beautiful church, indeed. We then took off walking with no particular destination and wound up by the Piramide--was a little worried that we would wind up leaving Rome on our first day(haha) so we changed directions(I think!) and went through part of Testacchio--caught a porchetta panini in a non-descript sidewalk bar--walked through part of Trastevere and crossed the river towards the Ghetto. We had a scrumptidelicious gelato in a Gelateria there--cannot remember the name of the place(sorry!!!) but it was just a few steps from a huge excavation site.Maybe I can find out the name when I look through my receipts or pictures.My hubby had two different types of chocolate(he is very boring!!!) and I had nicciola and pistachio--yummerific!!! So we walked through the excavation site--all around the area and then to the Victor Emmanuel building. We continued to just walk around until we went back to the hotel at around 8p.m. and grabbed dinner at the restauran next to our hotel on Via Firenze. I had fettucine with funghi and my hubby ad the penne all'arrabiata with wine and water. Wonderful pasta and wine in wonderful Roma. Perfetto--Buona Notte.

Day Two-November 6

Woke up and had a wonderful breakfast with cappucino at the hotel. Took a cab to the Vatican museum. Spent about an hour in line which was not so bad. We had the pleasure of talking to a wonderful couple from England and the time went by quickly--you have to love those English people!!! We have met so many nice people from England on our trips. Entered the museum and became totally intoxicated from all of the art. I am still reeling from the whole experience. I purchased a book, btw, at any major site that we visited so I could use it at home to re-focus on all that I had seen. There is so much great art that it simply boggles the mind. After about three hours in the museum we left, bought some water and relaxed outside. Next on the agenda we headed for St. Peter's. Again, I was totally unprepared for the beauty that awaited me. . .....I have come to the conclusion that there just are not any words that can describe all the feelings that one gets inside these museums and churches. I walked through the great halls and rooms with knees buckling and tears streaming down my face. I must go back again.......................We left St. Peter's and headed towards Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Same emotions roiling through me. Next we walked to the Pantheon for our first visit after dark, which put it in a new light(no pun intended!!). It was awesome again. Then to the Trevi fountain--again a new experience for us after dark and absolutely amazing. Not too many people around but it wasn't deserted. So we threw in our coins and sat on the steps to admire it and get refreshed. From there we headed towards Piazza Navonna, grabbing a gelato ar Buccianti----THANK YOU SOLOROMA!!!!! Era squisito!!!!! It was exquisite!!!!!! I tried the walnut and the special Maria which was a rather spicy,nutty,pumpkiny delight. My hubby ventured away from norm a little by trying the white chocolate and the orange chocolate. OMG !!!!! All of them were divine!!! We always shared so we always had at least four flavors that way....................... allora, where was I ??? Oh, yeah----walked a little more and then went to dinner at Da Francesco----oh thank you, thank you SPQR!!!! I had my first prociutto and melone there---to absolutely die for--my hubby had the prosciutto and parmigianna--mmmmmmm, then we had pizzas, he had pizza margheurita and I had bianca pizza with prosciutto--washed it all down with water and a wonderful red house wine----PERFETTO again. Walked back to the hotel as content as a kitten sleeping next to her mama and had an espresso at the bar. God, does it get any better than this? Buona notte.

Day thrree--follow up coming........I love Rome--I really do........

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

buon giorno & welcome back witty! you are too funny (love the title of your post). glad you had such a wonderful time and I can't wait to read the next installment (that pumpkin gelato sounds squisito!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Witty! Witty! Witty! You're back. Can't wait for the next instalment! I don't think your husband is boring with his choc gelato. I only ever have vanilla (Now that is boring.) Post again soon, Mama Roma, Tabby.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

So far, so good!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Witty! Cara mia! Sounds absolutely wonderful; I am getting so excited about my trip I think I will have to go have a little lie down!

What time did you get to the Vatican to wait in line one hour?

Is there any place outside in the line where an old lady could sit while waiting?

Eagerly awaiting the next installment :)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Hi Witty

Glad to see you back !!!!!!! One of the good things about this Forum is the exitement you get when you write your posts, reliving all the memories again ( think I'll print mine off to keep !!)

Glad you found Santa Maria Maggiore, we never got there,........ but hey I will return !!!! We did stumble on Santa Ambrogio e Carlo, which was fantastic......

You were not far from us when you wandered to the Piramide, we were about 100m away in the Hotel Pyramid, a little far out but easy for transport ( hey don't forget to read my posts parts 1 + 2 )

I raised my glass for you too !!! never got to see the Pantheon by night but day time was awesome. Trevi was very quiet when we were there too, but it was chilly, how was the weather for you ?? We had gorgeous sunny days but chilly nights.

Looking forward to your 2nd instalment !!!!!!!1

Jess UK

p.s hey we English are fantastic LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!1

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

read these the wrong way round LOL ...what a great report ...i know how you feel that emotion keeps "cropping" up in Rome ...i remember weeping at the Colosseum ..and sitting "dumb Struck" in St Peter's and some of the little church's we stumbled upon ! Rome is a place of permenant amazement to me ..i never felt prepared for half the things i saw !!!

Thanks for writing it all down ...it keeps us wanting Rome more when you read peoples trip reports !! ...liked your idea of buying guides and books from places you visited ....you're right the memory fades and you forget where and what you've seen !!

Cheers !!!

XxEm

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Thankyou,thankyou dear Witty! Sounds like you had a packed,fun and fabulous time,so happy for you!!

That special maria gelato sounds yummy,why can't we get that here can't be that difficult surely? Oh well,will have to add some pumpkin seeds to a bit of christmas spice icecream and imagine it's the same.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Ahhhh, as much as I am already missing Italy, it is really good to be seeing all of you on here again. I have missed everything for two weeks and I am finding it hard to catch up again!!!

Yes Tabby, you are right--vanilla is BORING-LOL !! Are you really joking ?? I must teach you how to spice up your life!!!

Anemone--Hiiiii !!! To answer your question- I think it was about 9:00 in the morn. And there is a ledge around at least the side of the building but I don't thinf there is once you turn the corner where the ticket office can be seen. I think it was worse too because we went on a Monday morn and they close at 1:45 in the winter months.

Jess, I am sorry to hear about your poor Mum's experience !!! I bet that she is laughing about it now though ! I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time too ! I need to go back and read more of these two weeks worth of posts so I don't start getting everybody's trips mixed up !!!So many of us going all at the same time !!!

Navarra--thanks!! And I don't think the pumpkin seeds will work LOL !!! That was some awesome stuff!!! I quit eating icecream at home after our last trip to Italy in March ! I just can't get a taste for it here anymore! Oh, I wish we could figure out a way to get that home!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

No Witty, I'm not joking. I just love vanilla. I am only funny about sweet things. Other than that I am quite adventurous - snails, frogs legs, even zebra (in Kenya) but I am funny about sweet things.

So glad you're back though. When one of the 'usual suspects' is away, something is definately missing from the forum. Tabby.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 13 Days in Italy--now that's Amore !!!!!!

Ben tornata Witty - welcome back Witty. Great to hear you again. Yes, St Peter's in Rome is probably the best thing there is. I can remember my first visit; the size, the grandure, the wonder of that place St Peter's.