We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My love affair with Rome--summary

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
My love affair with Rome--summary

To sum it all up--my love affair with Rome has only grown deeper. Nothing has made me change my mind. Stumbling upon every new place is a thrill of a lifetime. The weather was quite lovely while we were there. It did get cool at night and I should have taken a warmer jacket, but hubby was very comfortable without one most of the time. Ahhh, the older I get, the less I like cold!! We had about two seconds worth of rain the first day we were there but it was so short and so light that we didn't even need an umbrella. I took the advice and all the tips I could find on the forum. It paid off . I took all my index cards with info for food, churches, etc., categorized them by area and put them in separate baggies and then labeled the bags. I took my Rick Steves guidebooks and my Frommers guide book and a small translation guidebook. I picked up maps at the hotel. I took the city map that came with my Frommer's book. I marked them over and over. I learned that the best way for me was to mark a route out ahead of time if I really wanted to get there at a certain time. we visited thirteen churches in Rome plus revisited two others. We spent several hours in the forum this time. We went to the Borghese Gallery and to the vatican Museum and to the Scavi Tour. we spent a lot of time just walking and going to the park to "smell the roses". The weather was wonderful. The people were wonderful. We got lost. Even with maps amd a strategy plan--especially at night. I learned that while going in November is a wonderful time to be in Italy, it is also harder because the various places close early. The Vatican museum closes at 1:45, so you must get there early in the morning. I believe we arrived there around 9:00 and waited almost an hour in line. I did not climb the dome of St. Peter's--sorry guys and gals!!!!!! I did not feel claustophobic during the Scavi tour---not even a little--which surprised me. I was able to speak just enough Italian when I needed to, to be able to get my point across--and sometimes I surprised myself and remembered much more than I thought I would !! I wish to REALLY thank Roma72 and Nolana and Cinzia for that !!!!!!!!! A little trick that I found worked really well--I always started off telling them that my Italian was horrible, so no matter what I spoke in Italian, they seemed impressed and complimented me profusely !!! I am a naughty girl-no??? Tourists were definitely not as thick as I thought they would be but there were still quite a few there. Not as many as when we were there in March. I learned that because of the fact that most churches close for a period of time in the afternoon--it was hard to see as many as I wanted to see. I learned that no matter what--the food or gelato or church that I wanted was always across town from where I was----always!!! I learned that if you see a really scrumptious pastry shop or gelateria or sandwich or pizza place--you should eat , even if you are not hungry, because you probably will not pass that way again !!! We were not robbed. We never felt even the slightest bit afraid anywhere. I still love my hotel--Hotel Centro--because of the amazingly wonderful staff--Thank you Giovanni, Michael Bruno and Francesco again. And of course I loved their breakfast buffet !! I decided that Piazza Navonna was my favorite place this time. There we were in Rome at night listening to a young man singing Eric Clapton songs--and doing it very well indeed !!! Beeeeeautiful !!!!

There were not nearly as many street beggars this time and not quite as many rose pushers--THANK YOU LORD !!!! We missed our ES train to Florence because my hubby looked at the time wrong and I did not double check it. I found out that as long as you go to a window within two hours, you can get the next train seats available without any extra charges. Thank you again Lord! So we only had to wait for about an hour and a half. I learned then, to check and re-check everything !!! Any questions from anyone, I will try to answer. That's all I can think of for now. I am still assimilating the whole trip. If I forgot anyone's name when thanking everyone, I apologize--I think I forgot to add Brooklynnite and tkere and John and lordy just everybody !!! Oh, forgot to mention again that you need to make sure before you go that your shoes are comfortable!!! I bought the same brand but a different style(new balance) and boy did my feet hurt!!!!!!! Hope that all of you who are there now are having the time of your life---trust me, the second time is just as magical and I think the third will be too and on and on. I still feel like my heart is there and I miss every little sound and every little taste and every piece of art and mostly I miss the wonderful, wonderful people. I am a melancholy baby right now. Tears flow easily whenever I try to share my experiences. When in Florence, we bought a CD of a couple who played classical music on the accordian and violin so when I play it, I am transported back to the wonderful days in Italy. That funny shaped country has me under her spell and I think that will be that way forever. Ciao bella---

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

all I can say is, I understand. I might take a quick trip in February.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
93 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

Witty,

Thank you for this warm and wonderful report. We are less than 1 day from our departure for Roma and I loved reading your words and feeling the emotion. I am sure I will be weepy, too. I sure was when we walked in London for the first time. I was just overwhelmed and overcome with emotion. I'd better pack some extra tissues....

Levannah

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

<<We were not robbed. >> You sure about htat? Sounds like the city stole your heart.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

Ah, Witty! The more I read from you the more anticipatory I get---4.5 months to go.

I hope you will post a detailed report of all your churches, m'dear, I am trying to work my list of 'must sees' down from 30 to a more manageable number!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

Witty

I completely understand being bitten by the Rome bug...the Eternal City is like no other & with any luck we'll be able to visit it over & over again, discovering new wonders...glad you two were able to "get lost" too - sometimes you see the best things that way (esp. those churches/works of art off of the beaten path). Best way to beat those post-Italy melancholy blues - get yourself a glass of Brunello (or Chianti, Frascati, Amarone, Barolo, Barbaresco, Aglianico, Vernaccia or grappa if you prefer), dim the lights & fire up a little _______ (fill in blank with Puccini, Verdi, Pausini, Bocelli, Dean Martin, Louis Prima, etc. etc. - whoever you love) on the stereo, sit back & allow yourself to relive it all. Until the next trip - si? : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

Oh Witty,that was a lovely read,you write so well.I could really picture everything you did.

We were all thinking of you when you were gone and hoping you got back safe -you must be exhausted from your trip,but euphoric also -Welcome back!!! Cin,Cin!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

wittyone~

I've so enjoyed reading your "love letters" while pulling out my own photos and memorabilia again.....always new places to fall in love with aren't there? Thank you for your wonderful vignettes!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

wittyone - am loving your reports - whetting my appetite for trip on Dec 16th!

phread and Brooklynite - good to "see" you here!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

Brooklynnite--I love all your suggestions. I am a classical music afficionado for sure. I brought back the CD that we bought in Rome of classical music made by some street musicians that enthralled me while we were there both in March and again this time(in Florence) and we already have been listening to it. My hubby even put it in the car to listen to Sunday while driving to the grocery store and I was literally bawling. They are so very good and their music just tears at your heart. They draw large crowds always on the street. Funny thing is that we even had a bus stop in front of us while we were listening to them and he just stopped right in the middle of the street, opened the bus door, and listened to the music---bowed his head toward them when they finished and then drove off. Talk about taking the time to stop and smell the roses !! I was able to go and talk to them and thank them for all the memories that they had given me. Very sweet young couple and very talented. i did bring back four bottles of wine this time and thank goodness they made it all home safely !!! Also, four bottles of olive oil plus one that Eylife left for me. I was a nervous wreck about bringing all that liquid home but now I am ready to enjoy it. First though I think I must concentrate on my Thanksgiving feast that I need to make. Funny, how one can be in Rome one day and the next day buying a turkey in Kentucky !!! And I want my capucino and pasta back !!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I just noticed that I already wrote about the CD !!! Is it jet lag or TURKEY lag ??????

Navarra, Tobie and all, thank you for taking the time to read the rantings of an old woman !!! I can't find the words to describe all the feelings I have for Italy---I keep trying but they seem so inadequate. I wish that every single person could bring back the same feelings-the same memories-the same intense love that I hold in my heart for Rome. I see the things that are not so good too so I don't feel like I walk around with blinders on. I noticed that there are many beggars, and I noticed that the streets were actually a little dirtier this time, and I noticed that ALL Italian people are not as kind as others, and I heard while in Florence of a couple that was robbed twice in Rome--although they did not seem to be letting it ruin their time there( Jolly good for them!!). I talked in depth to many people and I understand that to be living there and to be visiting there are two very different things. I understand that the euro has not been good for the people there. I understand that with all the tourism, their streets are not their own alone anymore. I understand that many Italian people also live very hectic lives and have all the worries that we have and sometimes more. But I also see as a whole, they are beautiful and warm and intelligent people who will take the time to talk to someone as simple as myself. Magical, mystical, beautiful Rome and her people. How could I not be in love?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My love affair with Rome--summary

Witty

I commend you on getting all of that vino & olio home safely (now, enjoy it)...happy thanksgiving to all (you too LTT). turkey in Italian = tacchino!