We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Boston
12 posts
Save Topic
rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Beware! Will not refund deposit due. Will not reply to emails. I reserved an apartment for 4 adults, and was assured it would accommodate 4 adults. Luckily, several months before our trip, my wife was looking at the website photos and said: " I only see photos of a 2nd bedroom, showing a bunk bed with a crib under it." After emailing them, they confirmed that this apt could only accommodate 2 adults and 2 children, not 4 adults. They were unable to find us satisfactory accommodations. I asked for refund, waited several weeks, emailed again and got this reply. “I'm sorry I didn't know you hadn't been refunded yet. All I can do is forward your messages to refund@rentalinrome.com. Kind regards, Sara. I emailed Mr Refund many times over 4 month period – no reply, despite my threat to give them bad reviews everywhere. So…here I go.

USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Sorry to hear about your problems. If you gave the deposit by credit card have you disputed the charge with the credit card company? After 4 months is may be difficult to do but I would give it a try.

Good luck.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Hi Joe, I had a problem with the same company. Please send in a review on Slowtrav.com ... TA dosen't have a place to give Apt. reviews. It's important people know about this company and how it treat it's clients......After a week here it will just get lost in all the e-mails. Hope you get your deposit back soon....Maxine

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

You know if we all can keep responding to this post and keep it active and near the top, it's possible that it might help this poster. I've seen several similar complaints about this firm and if the post stayed up for a while eventually the representative from Rental in Rome posts an effusive apology to the poster, pretends the whole thing was just a big misunderstanding due to problems with the e-mail , and publicly offers the person some sort of compensation. That happened on the site not long ago and I asked the original poster to PLEASE let all of us know if he ever got his refund or was simply being pacified to impress all of us. Sure enough, after months of being ignored , he received his money. It seems , unfortunately to be the way these folks operate their business, so if you don't mind, lets all try to talk about this situation for as many posts as we can and perhaps they will again come out of the woodwork and tell this person they will get a refund. It's really amusing- their e-mail apparently only works for receiving reservations and credit card numbers, but not when a customer has a problem.

Unfortunately, they seemed to have learned that if you string a customer along long enough the credit card company will no longer accept a disputed charge ( I think it's 90 days from date of service), so all we can do for this person is publicize the plight so other potential renters can see- and in the meanwhile I will try to locate and repost the whole thread from their last person who needed a refund. I think there were two different posters with problems and I only remember one telling us he finally got his refund after months of trying. I doubt he would have except for this negative publicity.

I have never used this company myself, but in the time I have posted here I have seen this story repeated involving this same company over and over.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Here's a link to the thread I was referring to- one of several like it where the company finally responds to a customer they have ben ignoring for months after they made a public plea for a refund in this Forum. Judge for yourself whether the rental agent's "excuse" is a valid one:

tripadvisor.com/…5137875

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
165 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Thanks for the info about Rental in Rome. Definitely post your review in Slow Trav. I'm renting an apartment in December through Dolce Roma. I'm hoping for the best....

London
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Its a very good tip, thanks

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

We almost rented from this company for our Summer 2004 Rome trip. Luckily I ended up rented from www.sleepinitaly.com and we had a wonderful apartment waiting on us when we arrived.

I have now read MANY bad things about RentalinRome. Sorry you got taken by them, but maybe we can try to save a future innocent soul from being mistreated by them.

SleepInItaly - GREAT

RentalinRome - BAD

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

Joe- in case you didn't see it RIR jumped onto a different thread and specifically apologized to you with some typically senseless excuse ( When I taught we called them the cat ate my homework stories- I guess they feel they have worn out their typical- our e-mail was broken- for refunds only I guess - they never have problems getting reservations it seems!). I'm reprinting the apology for you ( dated Dec.1):

Posted on: 11:37 am, December 01, 2006 Report inappropriate post

A reply for joe.junque

Rental in Rome receives many refund requests for many reasons so we have a specific person in the company in charge with this task. Unfortunately not long ago, there has been an internal change and the person who was in this position has been promoted therefore a new person is now in charge with the refund division. During the files exchange between the previous refund manager and who took his place, some information has been left behind and this, together with the natural inexperience in facing a new position, caused some delay and relative inconvenient.

We are extremely embarrassed and sorry for the problems caused.

Best Regards Rentalinrome

My question is , have you yet received your refund, now that they admit they have a responsibility- or are you still waiting? I'm wondering if RIR just apologizes for the benefit of impressing TA readers or wheteher they actually do anything about "showing you tye money." Please let all of us know when/ if that happens.

This seems to be following their usual pattern of ignoring refund requests unless folks complain about it here- strange way to do business.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

joe,

It's sad to see rentalinrome getting such a bad rap over a disatisfied customer. We had a fabulous experience with them, and our apartment was gorgeous. They sublet hundreds of apartments (from their website it appears to be 300+,) so I am sure there are 1000's of other happy renters. Click on my name and my GoList (Rome, Day 1) will tell our story. They even had a bottle of wine waiting for us when we arrived!

I'm not trying to attack you at all, but I'm curious as to why you didn't notice from their website pictures and movies that the apartment only had a bunk and a crib? You obviously have internet. Maybe excitement got the best of you?

Did you ever try calling them instead of using email? Email is convenient, but sometimes the ole' telly is much more effective.

I hope everything gets resolved. Again, I think it's unfortunate that an incident like this could lead to such a heavy cloud hovering over their name. I can't say enough good things about our experience.

Tammy

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rentalinrome - BEWARE!

I think the whole point of this thread is that this is NOT an isolated incident. As far as pictures on websites...they can be deceiving. A picture might get my attention, but the actual descriptive text and factual information is what I base decisions on.