We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should I book airfare?

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
When should I book airfare?

We will be traveling to Rome next July 28th. How early should I book the flight? I see the airfare is high right now, will it go down in price if I wait a bit? We'll be flying Air France. Thanks

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When should I book airfare?

That's always the chance you take, it's a roll of the dice. I've played this game for years and have won and lost. Right now I'm looking at airfares in Sept/Oct of next year and they're about $200-250 less than I paid in 2005. Will they go down more? Who knows. I'm considering booking now since they're so much less than I paid in 2005.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When should I book airfare?

Not sure where you are flying from but do consider flying into London. The airline companies frequently offer really really good prices from the states to London. I've seen RT tickets as low as $400. Then you can grab a fairly inexpensive Ryanair flight to your final destination. I've been doing the math and it can be done significantly cheaper than a direct flight to Italy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When should I book airfare?

Not scientifically speaking, merely observations I've done during this year: Booking with 2 different european companies gave the best fares aprox. 2 months before time of departure. Booking before or after this point led to more expensive tickets. The exception from this is naturally when the companies have extreme sell outs, as Ryaniar or sterling or norwegian sometimes have.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
293 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When should I book airfare?

I would suggest you fly mid-week. The fares are always cheaper than flying on a Friday or weekend. I would hold off in booking something until after the holidays. Airfare prices may fall a bit.

Hope this helps.

fitgal

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When should I book airfare?

Thanks All !!! We're flying from Los Angeles.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When should I book airfare?

I could have sworn I posted this exact question not too long ago....or maybe I just thought about doing it.

I am flying from Phoenix on June 30th and returning on 11 August. I decided to do my Switzerland part of the trip first. I am on the verge of buying tickets, probably this weekend, because I think they are going up between now and then

I have also found, as one person has already mentioned, that I can do better by buying a r/t ticket: London(Healthrow)-Phoenix-LHR, and then buying a separate one-way ticket to Zurich. (It happens to be on British Air and only cost $85. This saved me about $200 (times two, because there are two of us). I bought a one-way ticket from Milan/Malpensa back to LHR on Aug. 11.

I will take a night train from Zurich to Rome. We are flying Milano-Athens-Milano very reasonably...as prices stand today.

I would warn you going through London to pay attention to the airport you arrive at and the one where your connecting flight to Italy departs. I believe most flights from the USA are into London-Healthrow, while many low-cost airlines fligh in and out of Gatwick or the other one, whose name slips my mind....but it is not Healthrow. You can transfer via taxi or bus to the other airport, in all likelihood, but what a pain !!!

Buon viaggio a tutti.

jb

7. Re: When should I book airfare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 06:25