We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in rome with a fractured foot

Northern VA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
walking in rome with a fractured foot

My long-awaited family trip over Christmas to Rome begins in 2 weeks...but yesterday, I tripped and fractured my 5th metatarsel - the bone that connects your toes to your ankel I have a stiff boot that I have to wear for 8 weeks and am currently in a lot of pain when I walk. Hopefully that will dissapate.

For those of you who have been to Rome - am I going to be able to cope? I can't bend my leg so stairs are difficult and this boot is a real pain. I am an avid walker and in good shape...but can't walk as much now to keep the swelling down. The doctor had dire warnings of blood clots thrown during the flight due to fracture...(i'll take aspirin as a precaution) and wasn't encouraging of us continuing in our plans.

There is NO WAY I am going to disappoint my family (2 teenagers and husband) and not go...but I am a little worried...

Reassurance?

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

Oh am I feeling your pain. Really I have a stress fracture in my foot. I'm not going to Rome until March so mine will be healed. I would definetly try to go. Take taxis when you can, rest it as much as you can. When your sitting eating put it up. Ice it and elevate it if you can. Take ibuprofin or your prescribed pain killer. Rest it as much now as you can and it will be a little bit better in 2 weeks.

Casskaela

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

I'm wondering what your hotel situation is.. I found that even hotels that have elevators sometimes have a few ( or more than a few) steps up from a foyer to get to the elevator. These are often very old buildings and sometimes are not very efficient for getting around it- some seemed to have narrow "spiral " style staircases.

I wonder if for at least one of the first days you should see if you could hire a car and driver to take you and the family around on a tour where you could mainly stay in the car and at least see the outsides of the buildings and monuments and get an idea what is involved.

But , if you can find someone who speaks good Italian, maybe you should ring the hotel and ask if they have a room that is easily accessed and if they can earmark it for you. While I know most hotel employees speak fine English, I think it would be so important that the situation you describe be clear to them. The nightmare would be getting to a hotel and having a room you can't even get into...

Not trying to be negative here, just a little planning ahead. And if you have any kind of perscriptions with you, be sure they are in the original bottle in case there are any questions along the way.

Good luck! Such a beautiful city- even if you can't get inside things , you will see memorable sights!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

Well hopefully Mary is ok. She posted this question but we have not heard from here. I hope she was not scared off!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
253 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

I own a walking tour company in my home town and Rome wore me out. The uneven sidewalks took a toll on my feet. My suggestion is to download the bus map and use it extensively. My Eyewitness guide book had a simple bus map but was missing many street names which made it difficult to find the stops.

My secret for finding the right stop for the Vatican on #64 is to get off the bus with all the priest and nuns. Follow them.

http://www.atac.roma.it/

open the map with Percorsi e mappe.

Another good Rome bus site is

miracleplayers.org/visitingrome/busses_in_ro…

canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

By next week the swelling should be almost all gone, the footwear can then be re-configured so that your weight will be resting on the other 4 unaffected metatarsal bones. Nevertheless take this opportunity to learn how to readjust/fine-tune the foot support as travel and strain will affect your (by then very) colourful foot. This fracture is not uncommon in soldiers and endurance walkers. The only thing about travelling at this time is probably the delayed healing. Being young is an advantage.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

It's been one week and I am learning how to walk on my heel or side of my foot, if necessary. I TRIED not to shop for a couple of days (got my Christmas cards out instead) but I have two kids, large family and of course, had NOTHING done yet.

We are in an apartment in Rome in the Campo Fiori area... 3rd floor which is NOT good news...no elevator...but I hope to only go up and down once a day. My husband will get a wheelchair for Dulles airport and London (anyone try Virgin Air to London...the teenagers insisted this is the only way to go and then we take Air Italia to Rome). I wonder how security with be with this heavy boot contracption - it is cumbersome and difficult for me to take off, but if they insist...and I have to worry about feet swelling and blood clots. Instead of trying to snooze, I am going to force myself to stay awake and walk at least once an hour.

It could have been worse...and I'll make the best of it since it is a trip we have all been planning for a year. My orthopedist is married to an Italian woman and spent most of my appointment sharing tips and restaurants that they love!

Ciao!

Mary

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

I have used Virgin in the past to & from Barbados & have found them very good indeed & will do whatever they can to help you. Not the most leg-room out of all the airlines I've used but not the least either. Of course I've not used them with your problem, poor you. But as I say they are more helpful than most & pride themselves on their customer-friendly image. Could you EMail them in advance to warn them of your plight & see what they can do to make your journey more comfortable? Good luck. Tabby.

18. Re: walking in rome with a fractured foot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 15:18