We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Rome... with 2 kids under 3

NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas in Rome... with 2 kids under 3

Hi need advice dos and don'ts in travelling to Rome during Christmas with 2 kids. WIll it be crazy if we try to bring them too to the midnight mass (granted that we can get tickets?)

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,092 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$412.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,855 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.40*
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Rome... with 2 kids under 3

Yes. The stampeding throngs would, I ithink, be terrifying for such young kids,not to mention how easily they can get swept away. I have seen that happen. Once inside the basilica (those with the best seats having been in line since around 10pm!) it's unlikely that they will be able to enjoy much. Since you mention tickets, I am, of course, assuming you mean midnight mass at St. Peter's. Mass at another church would be altogether different and perhaps enjoyable for your family. I'd pick a more intimate sized church, even Santa Maria in Aracoeli at the Capitoline. Also factor in that you will likely walk home from midngiht mass at around 1:30 am in nippy weather, because cabs, especially at S. Pietro, are difficult to find then.

Perhaps Christmas Day mass at Il Gesu or S. Ignatious, followed by a peramble around the Christmas carnival at Piazza Navona?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Rome... with 2 kids under 3

I don't know how much in advance you made the request for st peter mass on 24th, but you should be better following soloroma advice otherwise....the 8000 tickets were already sold out mounths ago! consider that the mass takes two hours and half....but children could always fall asleep! ciao daniela

3. Re: Christmas in Rome... with 2 kids under 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 09:17