We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vatican tours

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
vatican tours

Hi Just heard that the Vatican is imposing new rules for visitors for 2007. Only tour groups can enter between 8-10am. The general public can enter after 10 but get to queue. Can anyone recommend a tour group that doesn't charge the earth? It had been suggested doing one of the after hours tours but the price in 2007 is going to be 250Euro which is approximately AUS$500. As a family of 4 on a budget that price is impossible.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: vatican tours

Julie, the infos you got are true (the new rules are starting from Jan 8th, I think). The entrance from 8-10am is allowed for tour groups only with a voucher reservation (or any tour guide qualified: so if somebody will offer you a vatican tour on pm hours means that was not accepted by the vatican museum legal office). I know that Argiletum is offering the tours, as Carrani, Green Line, American Express....probably companies are going to change the prices a little bit, because also the ticket price will be higher.

Hope it helped. Ciao Daniela

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vatican tours

I also read about the new hours, but I thought the only tour groups that are able get in before 10:00 a.m. are large groups? Are small groups going to be let in also? Or private tours?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: vatican tours

the "special" entrance (8-10am), that once was open for all licensed tour guides, will be allowed only for those who were previuosly accredited, small or big agencies with individuals or groups. All must have a voucher. Try to figure out how long the line could be in the winter season (Jan-Mar) with the ticket office that is open for 2 hours only!!!!! I want to be optimist and think that the vatican will change its mind watching the people rebelling outside!

ciao daniela

New York City
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vatican tours

I dont think the new system will work out . I would love to see the Vatican sorting out its problems with the lines etc. Did anyone ever see the Vatican tour guides standing at the door asking if anyone would like to do a tour.

Why would the vatican guides not be fully booked.

Its seems strange.

Maybe its because they dont answer the calls or faxes.

Will try to find out who has special 8am entry.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: vatican tours

Where did you all find this information?

6. Re: vatican tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 20:21