We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or drive from Venice to Rome

Timmins, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Train or drive from Venice to Rome

My husband, two daughters and I will be flying into Venice but would like to go to Rome for a few days. Any ideas on what is the most feasible way to get around..rent a car or take the train? We would also like to stop in Florence and Pisa. Any ideas on what the driving is like in Italy? Cost is alos a factor.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,092 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$412.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,855 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.40*
Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or drive from Venice to Rome

If you are only visiting Venice, Florence, Pisa, and Rome I would certainly take the train. Dealing with a car in Florence is expensive; dealing with a car in Rome is suicidal (and expensive).

A car is great if you want to visit some of the lovely hill towns or such. But for getting from city to city, a train will be much easier.

Trains in Italy are relatively inexpensive. The only possible problem is that this is Italy, so strike are common. Howver, since this is Italy, the strikes are announced well in adivance and are posted on several places on the 'net. So, if a strike is looming during your stay, you can then rent a car. The strikes are usually 24-hours or 4 hours long or something in-between.

Paul

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or drive from Venice to Rome

I agree with Paul -- the biggest advantage of taking the train is that you don't have to park it - it also goes from downtown to downtown - a not inconsiderable advantage -- have a great time.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or drive from Venice to Rome

agree with both other posts - also, rent car in US - too expensive to rent when here.

Most definitely rent car ONLY if touring hilltowns, etc...take trains from major city to major city -expect about 4 - 5 hrs to rome from Venice.

Yes, do stop in Florence - at least 2 days but Pisa is out of your way - west....

Enroute Florence to Rome: a wonderful stop is Assisi - especially if you will be here during Christmastime

Check out Rick Steves' comments on Assisi in his books.

A gem

Buon Viaggio

Anne in Assisi

Timmins, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or drive from Venice to Rome

Thank you all..a train it is. Now, do any of you have recommendations for cheap, clean, central accomodations in Rome and Florence? Do you recommend buy train tickets prior to my trip or once I get there?

5. Re: Train or drive from Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 19:18