We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blonds!

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
blonds!

I am taking my 18 year old seriously stunning blond (9.9 on hotornot) daughter to rome for 5 days and have seen whilst perusing the forums that one poster said the italian men think nothing of molesting blonds. Is this true? in england she gets constant comments and whistles whn we shop but never molestation!

Also we are considering a day trip to pompeii & a trip to antica ostia - any advice?

Also good fashion shops/sales?

thanks

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blonds!

I don't think it will be a problem. My sister is also a stunning, tall, blond with big b**bs and all, and she was fine. If a woman carries herself expecting respect from those around her and ignores any unwanted advances, then the issue will dissolve. I'm not saying it won't happen, though. It can happen anywhere.

I would also be very cautious, though, letting her roam on her own (i.e. clubbing and exploring at night.) This is a precaution I would take in any city, because she may be 18, but young adults at that age are still relatively naive in the ways of the world and potential risks. This could be heightened due to the attention her appearance may draw.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Tammy

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blonds!

Pompeii is a long way for a day trip but lots of people do it and there is lots of advice on previous threads on this forum. Just enter something like "Rome Pompeii day trip" in the search box and this should bring up lots of advice.

Ostia Antica is a much more doable trip from Rome and can be done in about half a day. It is about 30 minutes by train from Rome, is well worth the visit and has an excellent cafe.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blonds!

A day trip to both Pompeii and Ostia Antica would be a bit silly as they are both the same thing really. As the previous poster said Ostia Antica is much, much closer to Rome and takes no time at all to get to. Do go there, it is also very enjoyable.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blonds!

Dear report88,

Maybe you could take a Sat 7am Marozzi bus from Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station to Pompei Scavi and then a 5:20pm one back:

www.alfonsoamare.it/italiano/marozzi.htm

http://www.marozzivt.it/

I tend to think that you and your daughter will be ok at least near Pompei Scavi. There are quite a few blonds (even platinum ones) in at least the province of Napoli (where Pompei Scavi are) and although people might look at your daughter, they lose interest and go back to their normal tasks. Depsite what horrid myths might circulate about Napoletano men, the men tend to chase/flirt/pursue Napoletana females or those who speak Italian well enough to return the joke, flattery, etc. You might consider not wearing jewelry or an expensive watch as theft might be a greater threat than anything else especially if you find yourself in Napoli. Downtown Pompei isn't bad, however, it's known among locals that it's not a good idea to wear flashy gold jewelry or a Rolex-type watch.

I went to a New Year's Eve party in a huge rustic villa in the province of Salerno where one of the handsome guests brought an Australian model (tall, blond, stunning, extremely young and thin). I was thinking that she, the model, was going to have a nice time at the party, however, no one talked to her (not even the single men) and she spent most of the time looking at/using her cell phone and not leaving the arm of her male friend.

At least around Napoli and Salerno, the big sales start on Jan 5 and pretty much last until the stores decide to bring in their Spring/Summer collection. Sometimes a store will leave some sale items out along with the new collection.

Buona Fortuna...

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blonds!

Have just come back from a trip with my 17 year old blonde daughter (pic on my review of Inn at the Roman Forum) and don't worry!!!! I can't say she attracted any unwelcome or embarrassing attention - certainly no more glances than she would get on an afternoon out in Leeds for instance. And definitely no molestation!!!! Obviously you need to dress appropriately anyway which minimises the likelihood.

We spent a fab day at Ostia Antica. 30 mins on the train from the station next to Pyramide metro. Cost us a couple of euro return. 5 minutes walk from Ostia Antica train station and well signed. Really recommend it.

Can also recommend Context tours if you are interested in ancient Rome. We had a couple of fantastic walking tours with them and they really brought it all to life. We did Classical Rome and Roma Antica with them but went to Ostia on our own with the Blue Guide to Rome.

Have a great time - we did!

Allie

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: blonds!

Thank you to everyone for the advice and for being so helpful - and to the lady from York we may even be neighbours! I've just posted a holiday pic but it may take a day or so to clear.

ps it is in fact in Leeds where we shop.

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: blonds!

to alliebdive - just read your rome trip - report how spooky, We must be twins - my eldest daughter did latin+greek at school too & did classics at uni, I'm taking youngst daughter to Rome as she is doing A&A at uni and is having an 'appropriate classical educational' holiday before she goes back for the Lent term.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: blonds!

Hi Report88

That really is spooky - small world eh??? Here's a wierd one too! Caroline who was our Context docent for the first trip was about 23, blonde and did Classics at Leeds Uni. Several times during the tour passers by asked me a question thinking I believe that I was their mother or the tour guide!!!!! LOL

We live about 10 miles west of York in a village called Green Hammerton. My daughters (17 and 15) both go to school in Leeds though.

Maybe we should organise a Yorkshire Tripadvisor meet!

Allie

female, uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: blonds!

Definitely Allie! We live in Adel, north of Leeds (v handy for LBA!). My girls are 18 & 25 both were at LGHS in leeds - elder did classics then A+A at Cambridge & younger has just done one term of A+A at Cambridge.

I am really impressed by your list of travels. I wouldn't go anywhere now without looking on tripadvisor.

We must know each other by sight if your girls are at LGHS. I can only think if it's not LGHS it must be Gateways - in which case we must have friends in common.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: blonds!

Snap! They both go to LGHS and have done since they were very small, so they must know your daughters - certainly Lucy would know your younger daughter as there is only a couple of school years between them. Must pick your brains re Oxbridge entrance!

My email is alison.boler@btinternet.com if you would like to mail me.

Allie