We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

My wife and I along with another couple will be spending four nights in Rome near the end of March. We are no longer college students in need of a cheap hostel; however, we can't afford much more than 80 0r 90 euros a night. (We are just out of school) We would like to stay in a hotel that offers double rooms with private bathrooms, but are having a hard time finding something that is near the action but away from the train station and or undesirable neighborhoods. Does anyone know of an affordable hotel, that meets our needs? We don’t need it to be ultra fancy, just not full of bed bugs, dirty bathrooms or poor service. Am I asking too much?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,441 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$411.00*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,824 Reviews
from US$60.50*
US$67.20
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.30*
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

You could Google Hotel Primavera- which may have rooms in your price range. We stayed there a few years ago and it was about that then. The room was not fancy but clean , as was the bath. The breakfast was included in the price-and was awful- coffee ond rolls- so we would supplement across the street in a cafe.

Location can't be beat- right on the edge of Piazza Navonna- very nice and safe area..

Downsides: Hotel is actually two floors in an office building - there is another Hotel on another floor and some offices as well- this is somewhat common in Europe-we stayed in a similar situation in Germany. Also, they do not accept website bookings- you have to fax or call and you must send one nights deposit by check ( which was not cashed and returned to us on arrival.) Also must pay in cash- understandable with their low rates. There are ATMs and banks all around it, so not a problem. Do not accept tehir airport transportation- arrange your own- they charge to much. With those caveats, I think Vittorio might be able to help you. The location is a real plus!

There are a few reviews here on TA- including mine! Might work for you! If you can't find their fax, I'll look for it if you need..

Good luck! We loved our budget trip - stayed 8 days with Vittorio and had no complaints except breakfast and a coffee and cornetta are available all around the area, so no big problem.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Given your bugetary constraints I suggest you try Priceline. If you go to biddingfortravel.com there is a whole section on how to bid and a list of the hotels for Rome. If this is your honeymoon then you'll want a nice hotel and this could be the way to get it. Good luck!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Hi Tex -

Try www. ratestogo.com - click on the 20 day selection and see what they have to offer. I use them regularly because I seldom have much notice of my trips, and I've found them to be reliable.

Good luck.

God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Texas Honeymooner

Have you considered the convents in Rome?

Regards

Martha

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

You're in an unfortunate situation, as Rome is one of the world's pricier hotel cities. However, I want to say that I stay in the area around the Termini all the time, where there are a great range of accomodations of all levels, and it is a fine area to stay (IMO). Lots of activity, some good local restaurants, great change bureaus, and right on the transport links to the rest of the city. Give it some thought. Also makes it very cheap and easy to get to the airport by using the express train.

louisiana
Level Contributor
800 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

try hotel panda...near the spainish steps...but they don't have an elevator

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
472 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

There's a lovely appartment in Trastavere which we tried to book but is unavailable for our dates. It would comfortably accommodate two couples which means you could share the cost. The price for one couple was 700 eur for a week but it's a little (not much) more for two couples. It's Jewel of Trastevere and looks absolutely lovely, we were very disappointed when we could get a booking. The website is www.jeweloftrastevere.com I did a lot of research on the area and thought it would be an ideal way of seeing Rome from the perspective of a resident ... after all, you WILL go to see the touristy things but will you make the time to see the 'suburbs' unless you are staying in that area and it's still walkable. Good luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
472 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Of course you realize that I meant could NOT get a booking. I knew I should proof read before submitting!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Don't be so quick to dismiss the Termini area. It's not as charming as some other areas, but does have a certain charm of its own. It's not unsafe. Many budget hotels are located there. Try to find a place on the west side, as it will be more convenient for walking to the sites.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed with & in need of a cheaper place to sleep

Hi

Try

www.Romeby.com or www.slowtrav.com

all very clean rentals.

I am leaving for Trastavere this week will reply back if we stumble across any bargains, I am looking for a place for 4 of my daughters friends to visit her in Rome on Spring Break.

Ciao