We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Rome Map

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best Rome Map

I would like to purchase a street map of Rome before our trip--one I could mark some restaurant locations on, etc. Do you have a favorite you would recommend, and know where to purchase? Thanks for your thoughts.

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
165 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Rome Map

Check out the Popout maps from Mapgroup. I've used my Rome map for quite a few trips. Map includes shopping areas, metro guide and museum/historic site locations. Even better, the map will fit in your pocket.

www.mapgroup.net for store locations

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Rome Map

I like the street maps by Berndtson & Berndtson. You can buy at a local book store or online. They are laminated and sturdy and even have the center area in a blow up section. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

South Carolina...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Rome Map

Try "MapEasy's Guidemap" for Rome.

I used it to check the hotel location and site before booking. It notes restaurants and hotels (and their "star" rating). Also highlights lesser known sites. The opposite side is close ups of different areas i.e. Piazza Navonna, Spanish Steps, Forum etc.

It is described as "A location map and guidebook."

We took a copy with us and used it a lot. It's waterproof and tear resistant. I picked it up at Borders.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Rome Map

I understand the appeal of mapeasy maps and it may work for your overview to mark sights and plans. Do be aware, though, that many streets are missing from them, so I don't recommend navigating the city with only that map. I would use it to mark your plan and then, when you get into town, head for the first TI (Tourist Informaiton booth) and pick up the free city map. These are remarkably good, very accurate and really all you'll need to get around.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Rome Map

Hi

Remember that you can also look at online maps. I have made an interactive Google map of Rome on this page http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . It shows some of the attractions of Rome, some of the places where I have been to eat and drink. Note that you can click on the markers, zoom in and out etc.

Regards

Gard

Vancouver
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Rome Map

I found the free Charta Roma map somewhat useful for charting and marking destinations and for the map of Appia Antica on the reverse side. It also is graphically rich with the sites and green areas illustrated, but in walking around, the scale was too small for even my reader glass covered middle aged eyes to pick my way through the labyrinth of central Rome. I did see a lot of people using this map.

My choice for the best on the ground and overall map would be the National Geographic Destination Map of Rome. The scale is one of the largest 1:9600 and the graphic format is clean and very readable. It is laminated and thus durable and is easy to manipulate and is compact. Its only disadvantage is that the large scale and compactness eliminates some of the peripheral areas such as Testaccio, Parione and the Nomentano zone.

I used a combination of about five maps for a variety of purposes including the Berndtson & Berndston which shows a wider area at a smaller scale (1:15000) as well as Roma Centro at 1:11000. I found, however, that its graphics were more difficult to read while walking around and it is a little more unwieldy, so this map was confined to pretrip and apartment evening research.

Michigan
Level Contributor
290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Rome Map

gardkarlsen - That map is very cool! I did not know Google maps had that ability. What a cool way to record your trip as well and map out all of the things you saw & did!

Thanks for sharing!

Seattle
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Rome Map

Thank you all for the great list of maps. Can't wait to visit a local bookstore!

9. Re: Best Rome Map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 06:27