We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardens of Rome

Birmingham England
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Gardens of Rome

We want to visit gardens such as Hadrians villa, Villa D'este, Ninfa, Primavera, Castille Di Fume, Orsini. These are names we have picked out of brochures. Is there a book(let) detailing where the gardens are, opening times and details of how to get there? Should we base ourselves in Rome and travel by public transport? Is it do-able? Are there any garden tours run by tour operators?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gardens of Rome

Don't overlook Rome's own gardens: the Rose Garden, the Orto Botanico and the Vatican Gardens.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gardens of Rome

Perhaps the best guidebook is "The Garden Lover's Guide to Italy" by Penelope Hobhouse, published 1998 and in print. I got mine from Amazon. It has a section on Rome and environs. For up to date info on hours etc, I'd go to each garden's website or phone.

The finest Renaissance garden in Italy is considered by many to be the Villa Lante in Bagnaia, north of Rome. It is judged a finer work of art than Villa d'Este, not to diminish that garden. I am going in April, if I have to crawl! I would love to find a tour going there from Rome, if anyone knows of one. You can get there by public transportation but I'm not sure how easy it is. Especially not speaking Italian.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gardens of Rome

Try this website for more about the gardens of Rome:

http://www.gardenvisit.com/

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gardens of Rome

Ninfa is open the first sunday of the month if I don't go wrong.

see: countrylife.co.uk/gardensgardening/ninfa.php

It is near the village of Sermoneta which is worth a visit. It's about an hour drive south of Rome.

In Rome you could visit the Giardino degli Aranci on Aventino hill or as suggested the Orto Botanico on Via della Lungara, at Gianicolo Hill foot.

Ciao

Birmingham England
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gardens of Rome

Thanks for the advice. I have visited the website and it is full of the info I need. I will have to do a bit of research to see if I will hire a car or take day trips out from Rome. The former sounds easier depending on traffic!

I look foreward to receiving the book from amazon.

Many thanks,

6. Re: Gardens of Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 16:18