We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I hate the Vatican Museum!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
I hate the Vatican Museum!

I have seen them twice and if there were any way to avoid going I would do it as I am not physically capable of enduring the long wait in line and lack of restrooms. It was torture both other visits, but I've aged since then and just can't do it.

From what I have gathered reserving with the Vatican is a very hit or miss propostion done only fax--the number of which is not provided. Like the public restroom, timed admission is a foreign concept.

In any case, I will sign up for any tour which avoids the wait. I could care less if the tour is even any good or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure some people would suggest I stay home. I only wish I could. I've been to Rome and Italy three times and speak Italian fluently so I know what I'm in for. At my age long lines and lack of restrooms is no longer quaint nor an adventure!

Grazie tanto!

Joe

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

Surely nobody's forcing you to visit the museum. I really don't see the point to your post!

Incidentally, it's 'grazie tante' NOT 'grazie tanto' as you wrote!

2. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline requiring that all messages be written in English. It is not possible for the forum staff to provide translations. Foreign language comments exclude many readers from obtaining what may be pertinent information, which defeats the purpose of an open forum.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2007, 01:22
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

In quel caso, Le mi chiedo scusa! Anche se ci siete già stati vi auguro un buon viaggio!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

Joe, I am very sympathetic with you! As a local tour guide I can tell you that it's very frustrating when in peak season people ask to go to the Sistine Chapel only....simply because with the guide you avoid the line. Last year I went to the Colosseum just 5 or 6 times and twice a day to the Vatican: it's a nightmare! But the best suggest I can give you is to book a private tour: Accessitaly.net, Argiletum (or any other company qualified to make the reservation for the "preferential lane entrance") have wonderful guides. I desagree on one point: the lack of restrooms. In the last years there was an improvement, trust me! C'mon you can do it ;), your colonnello can be very proud of you....Ciao Daniela

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

I am confused by your post. If you hate the Museum so much and have been there twice already, uhm don't go. Nothing or no one can make you go if you don't want to.

If you are traveling with someone who really want to see the museum I would suggest they go on a tour without you.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

Ummm am I missing something here? Just sounds like someone having a grump for the sake of it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

I do have a suggestion-wait until Prince William gets married.

By pure chance I was in Rome in 1981 the day Charles & Di were married-me & Grandad went to the Vatican Museum and we were just about the only people there. No queues-it was bliss.

On the other hand-I too wonder why you feel obliged to visit or post on the forum?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

Man, who peed in your Wheaties???? Just don't go! How does that sound? If someone grabs you at gunpoint and tries to force you to go just scream and make a scene, I'm sure someone will rescue you from such a horrible fate!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

"I'm sure some people would suggest I stay home. I only wish I could."

Joe, I'm sure that MOST people would suggest just that. If you don't want to go don't! You make it sound that you are being kidnapped, taken against your will, & being forced to endure the museum.

I agree with jerryott. If you've got to go at least go kicking & screaming! Ciao!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I hate the Vatican Museum!

Troll/Whiner. Take your pick.