We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in ruins

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in ruins

Recently hit with this request.

My answer: Da Pancrazio (basement has ruins of Pompey's theater) and Taverna Ulpia (overlooking Trajan's forum and built into Trajan's basilica Ulpia -- ruins in basement). Does anyone have any other interesting places in which to dine among ruins?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in ruins

Hello SoloRoma

While not technically within ruins, Giggetto is right beside the ruins of the Portico d'Ottavia (nice outdoor spot in good weather).

Orlando
Level Contributor
856 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in ruins

I don't know if this counts......but.....

My favorite place to eat in Rome was actually Ostia Antica. We packed a picnic lunch and ate on the steps of the theatre. They also have a cafe there.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in ruins

Agree- take a picnic to Ostia Antica, and you can eat it in the ruins with no worries. I ate mine last year in the Roman Theatre!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in ruins

Thanks for the input. Yes, I think Gigetto is a good one, even though there are not ruins inside the restaurant, there is a vew of them from the outside tables, thanks.

I'm really looking to create a list of restaurants with unique inteiors that contain ruins or are phisically attached to them in some way.

But, I love the obvious! Take a picnic to Ostia or the Palatine. Good thinking.

Another choice is Hostaria Antica Roma on the appia antica; the inner courtyard was once a columbarium (place for the ashes of free men). The ash niches are empty, of course, and at night they are lit with candles.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in ruins

you can add to your list: osteria costanza in piazza del paradiso, literally within the theatre of pompey; l'archeologia on the appian way (the cellar) or la cisterna in trastevere even if the last time I have been to (sincerly many years ago) it seemed to be "touristy" food place (ruins of a cistern in the basement). ciao daniela

Wyoming
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in ruins

The breakfast room in Hotel Teatro di Pompeo is in the substructure of Pompeys theatre. But my favorite was a picnic sitting under the "prow" of the Temple of Aesculapius on Isola Tiberina with the Ponte Fabricio just upstream. I understand the prow is even older than the bridge.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in ruins

Roma 70 and Tiber2 I knew I could count on you for ideas. Tiber the Hotel Teatro Pompeo is a good one, I'll have to find out if you can visit without being a hotel guest. I hope while you were enjoying lunch you managed to discover the ancient temple's fragment of travertine wall with the snake carved into it (today's medical caduseus).

Roma 70, thanks for reminding me of l'archeologia. I always think of it as a weddings place, but you're right, it certainly qualifies.

Thanks everyone.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in ruins

last summer l'archeologia scored 1000 points for having gluten free pasta for my little client Kaitleen! ciao daniela

PS By the way there is a gluten free food shop in santa maria delle grazie square (near the vatican): is this tip useful? ;)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in ruins

If you forget to take your picnic to Ostia the cafe mentioned by another poster is excellent and not as expensive as you might expect.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in ruins

I think gluten-free info is very useful indeed. Though we need it, America does not have as powerful an initiative as Italy does. I think Gamero Rosso now designates for it, but it would be helpul to let people know where to find sugar-free, gluten-free, items. Maybe a new thread?

thanks