We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

Hello,

I will be in Rome April 10-16 and will be travelling with my 17 yr. old son and will be a little over 3 months pregnant. This is my first time in Europe and I will be travelling from Paris to Rome and back to Paris before departing home. Is there an area or hotel that anyone can recommend? My budget is about $250 US per night. I want to stay in an area/hotel that is very Italian and not so American.

Also, is it easy to commute from the airport to the city and hotels? Anything I need to consider when booking my hotel?

Thanks.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

Chicago Girl -

Do yourself a favor and go out RIGHT NOW and get a proper map - a modern one - of Rome since it sounds like the one you have is either faulty or old or confusing.

I highly suggest a MAP EASY map - very easy to read and understand as it is hand drawn as more of an artistic map - very easy to deal with, hence the name. IT will have the entire city and the Vatican covered, with detailed close ups on the 4 or 5 major sights and the streets around them. It is made of a light plastic covered paper so they last quite well and resist water and spills. Get at any good bookstore in the map section or see website at www.mapeasy.com Costs about $6-7 and so worth it.

With a good map you will understand better where the sights arein conjunction with one another you will see that the advise given above to stay int eh Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon area is excellent. These places are but blocks from each other and represent the true center of the city both geographically and in terms of where sights are located. They are safe and very charming, as long as you stay on a side street and off the main drags but that's true in any city!

Also the mapeasy has some suggested places indicated for shopping and restaurants as well as public restrooms, which might be pertinent for a pregnant lady! ;-)

Good luck and great trip! LL

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

Thanks for all the great tips as this definitely helps to get an idea of where to stay and the things that my son can do on his own.

One last question...how is the weather in early April The tourist book says 70's springlike but living in Chicago springlike weather can definitely vary!

Custer
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

Hi CGirl:

Is this the same book with the map?

Even though it has many years since my first visit

this much I can say, when I left Chicago in mid- March it was

snowing,and bone chilling cold, you know how that is with the winds off the lake. When I got to Rome, it was spring, temps were in the 60's,little or no rain, just beautiful. The next was late March early April, and again same for Chicago, same for Rome but a few degrees warmer. I doubt you will have any trouble after a winter in Chicago.

We will be there late March and temps at that time are already averaging 62 for Rome with lows in the mid 40's. If you want to check it out more go to MSN weather page, punch in Rome, a five day forecast will come up, below it is the monthly average chart,click on the month and you will get a read out for daily temps and precip. Hope this helps.

Have a great trip!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

or try weatherunderground.com for lots of info and average.

15. Re: 1st time in Rome...need hotel/area recommendation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 14:18