We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing around the Vatican

Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Timing around the Vatican

I will be visiting Rome from the 13th to 18th July and would like to visit the Vatican, on Friday the 15th. I would like to book the tickets for the Vatican Museums before to avoid the queues however, I am a bit uncertain about the timings. Can you please help.

I was thinking of leaving the hotel near Vittorio Emanuele Metro station at around 730 and stop at the Ottaviano Station (How long will this trip take?).

Then head towards the Basiica and spend about 2 hours to see the basilica and go on the cupola.

I was thinking of booking the tickets for the Museums at around 11. Will I have enough time to see the Basilica and the Square and walk the way to the Museums?

After the Museums I am assuming I will stay for about 3 hours, I intend to head towards Castel Sant'Angelo and Visit the Museum there. Is it to much? Can you help me with the timing please.

Thanks

Edited: 15 June 2011, 17:06
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing around the Vatican

It's hard to say how long it will take you since everyone has different "speeds" while visiting churches. There could be a long line to get up into the cupola, there's a great gift shop on the rooftop level (way better than the one in the square), and you may want to spend 20 minutes or more in the cupola. We spent at least 30 minutes in the gift shop on the roof since we wanted to buy several rosaries for friends & family and it was hard to pare down the choices.

I would book the Vatican Museums for after lunch just to be sure, but we spent 2 days in Vatican City seeing everything. We also did a Scavi tour and went to the Papal Audience, though.

You can do the things you want to do in one day, but it will be a long one.

Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing around the Vatican

We are not interested in attending a Papal audience, and the Scavi I decided we will not go as we are more interested in art and as we have limited time to stay in Rome I thought that I should go to Basilica and Musei.

I am confused as we just been to Seville and went to the Cathedral and we saw everything to see in 3 hours including the Giralda, but I do not know how it compares in size and arcitecture to the Basilica.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing around the Vatican

Again, it depends on how long you want to spend there and your interest level. St. Peter's is one of the largest churches on Earth and home base for billions of Catholics, and can be very crowded. If you want to see everything, this will take you a long time. If you're the type to breeze through a regular church in 15 minutes, it will take less time. I can't tell you how long you'll be in there, but based on how long we spent there vs other churches in Rome, I'd advise to book your Vatican Museum tour for after lunch just to be sure. I'd hate to have to cut my visit short in St. Peter's to go to the museums. It's a 15 minute walk to the museum entrance/exit, so it's not like it's right next door and you can just walk back across the street to visit the Basilica after you're done.

Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing around the Vatican

Thanks a lot for the advice :) .. that is what I needed and what I was worried about. Thanks I will book the Museums for 1:00 and then maybe skip going into Castel Sant Angelo, as it will probably be too much art and museums for the day.

5. Re: Timing around the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:19