We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

Pullman, WA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

I am coming to Italy for the first time and am having a hard time getting my head around how the Vatican visits are laid out. Is visiting the Basillica part of the Vatican Museum Tickets or can you go to the Basillica without a ticket?

I currently have tickets to go on the Scavi tour at 10:00 am and wasn't sure if I could look at the Basillica before the tour and then plan to go the Vatican Museums at 12:00 or how that would work.

I know we want to do the Scavi tour, see the Basillica, and see the Sistene Chapel. Don't kill us but my touring partner and I aren't huge art lovers so I don't think we want to spend a ton of time in the Museums but maybe I am missing something. If someone could give me some guidance I would love it.

We don't think we want to do a tour of the Museums because we are more of the type of people who like to go at our own pace and we don't want to get stuck in front of one piece of art for an overwhelmingly long time because we really aren't that into art.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,136 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

The only way to see the Sistine Chapel is to walk through the Vatican Museum. It is at the END of the walk.

The basilica is a church and NOT part of the museum.

You can visit it separately.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

You can pre-purchase tickets on-line to the Vatican Museums WITHOUT the tour and still bypass the long lines waiting to get into the them.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

If your Scavi tour is at 10:00 you'll need to be at the entrance by 9:45. That doesn't give you a lot of time to wander St. Peters - but if you're not into art that may not be a bad thing. BUT if you're into architecture it won't be enough time. My hubby & I aren't really into art either, but we loved St. Peter's from the architecture standpoint. Absolutely stunning.

Your Scavi tour will be over by 11:30, and you exit into the Basilica. It takes about 15 minutes to walk over to the Vatican museum entrance, so that would be cutting it close for a 12:00 tour. Not sure if you want lunch in there as well, that would back your tour up by an hour or so.

We did a Vatican museum tour, and our guide didn't dwell on any one piece for too long. The amount of time in the museum was just right for us. We appreciate art, but I don't want to stand in front of a piece for 10 minutes while they tell us about it.

But with that said, you could get a good guide book and do a self-guided tour just as easily.

Pullman, WA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

Thank you all for your help. Do you know what time St. Peter's will open. We are planning on going on Friday, August 26? Also do you know what time and how long the guided tours by the Vatican are for Museum and the Sistene Chapel?

I am thinking we might go to St Peters first for a first view when it opens before it is incredibly crowded. Then do the Scavi tour and then either take the tour or go on our own in the afternoon. It will be a full day at the Vatican but I don't think there is anything I would give up.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

St. Peter's Basilica opens at 7AM. You can get tours of various lengths for the museums, but most of them are 2-3 hours. If you got a shorter tour they might not include all of the rooms, though. You'd need to see what rooms are included and make sure that any you want to see are on the list. And of course you can do a self-guided tour as well.

That's a good idea to see the Basilica first, then do the Scavi, then continue with anything you missed at the Basilica since the Scavi ends there.

You can also go up into the cupola for 7 Euro. That was one of the best things we did, the view is amazing. There's also an excellent gift shop on St. Peter's roof, much better than the one down in the square.

I hear you on not giving anything up. We spent 2 days in Vatican city! :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

JoyNoelle, you might look at this article, It has a couple of maps that may help you understand the lay-outs. The explanations you've been given are spot-on!

http://tinyurl.com/vatican-tips

Hull
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

Hi all,

We are only in Vatican city for two hours in August as a part of a Rome tour. Would you suggest to get museum tickets or will we have enough to see anyway?

any help would be appreciated.

P.S Does it matter if you miss your time slot?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

Two hours are not enough to visit the Vatican Museums in August; don't bother buying tickets.

If you're on a Rome tour, they'll show you what they can in two hours: probably St. Peter's Basilica and Square.

Hull
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

Thanks for your honesty. We won't bother now.

10. Re: Trying to figure out schedule & what is included in Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 12:18