We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican tours in Sept

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican tours in Sept

Can anyone advise me re vatican tours in sept. Most of the tour operators suggest very early morning tours and are quite expensive. Has anyone used the Complete tours people? They seem to do small groups but suggest going in the afternoon. I am confused!

I would appreciate any help anyone who has been to Rome/ lives in Rome can give me.

Thanks

Finola. Dublin

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

Why book with a private tour operator and pay extra? Book direct with the Vatican Museums at mv.vatican.va

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

Thanks Nick for your help. All the reviews say it is wall to wall tourists in the Vatican and the only way to get to see anything and learn anything is to book a tour guide. I dont mind paying a reasonable amount but I do object to paying way over the odds.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

Booking a tour guide is not going to eliminate the crowds. The crowds are *somewhat* smaller in the afternoon, but they are still there.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

Thank you for your reply.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

The Vatican Museums can provide you with a tour; but tours will not get rid of the wall-to-wall traffic jam in the Sistine Chapel.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

Is there ANY time that is possible to go to the Sistine chapel when it is likely to be quieter?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

You could do a Vatican Under the Stars tour at night where there are fewer people but still some crowds (if there are any available when you're visiting), or you could do a private after-hours tour where you'd be alone in the museums with a small group, but that would cost a lot more.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

We would probably prefer to do a daytime tour, but your night time options are worth considering.Thank you for both of your suggestions.

Roma
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

The best way to visit the Museums without crowd is in the afternoon entering from 15 to 16 or on friday evening openings starting from september 2 until october 28 (look here …vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Evento05.html )

Also guided tours organized by Vatican Museums are avalaible and you can book in advance and avoid the line on …vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican tours in Sept

Thank you for your suggestions, very much appreciated.