We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

I know the Sistene chapel is at the end of the Vatican Museum tour. Do you need to be part of a tour group or can you do this on your own? I want to see the Sistene Chapel but I don't want to spend 3 hours on a museum tour.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,736 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

Lupaling -- you cannot see the Sistine without waiting in line -- there is always a long slow line of people in the museum waiting to get in the chapel

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

You might try this and avoid the crowds, but I do not suspect it is the same.

vatican.va/various/…index.html

Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

I read there is a special way to to go basilica from the sistene chapel. It depends on which door to use. Does it still works?

Based on this , should I go sistene first then basilica?

As what you guys said maybe I allocate half a day for these 2 venues. I reach there when it opens and I go take my lunch back in Rome to do my other visits.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

The right-hand door leading out of the Sistine Chapel goes directly to the Basilica, but it's only supposed to be used by tour groups. You can try slipping through with a tour group; if it doesn't work, go out the other door. This will add about 15 minutes to your walk to the Basilica.

Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

So the Sistene == > Basilica sequence is better or vice-versa ?

Since I can book online the ticket for Vatican Museum.

Besides is half a day do-able or is it a bit taxing if I were to visit St Peters ( include Dome & Sistene Chapel ?

I know each person's is different but I was wondering if generally 1/2 day spent is enough as I can plan for my 2nd half when I get back to Rome.

Thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

I usually spend about three hours in the Vatican Museums, but I know there are people who spend far less than that. Three hours doesn't allow you to see everything, but I usually can't take any more than that, so I leave some things for the next trip.

Depending on what you want to see in the Basilica, it could take from half an hour to over two hours. I've never climbed the dome, so I can't even guess at how much time that would take.

I suppose going to the Vatican Museums first would at least allow the possibility that you might be able to take the direct route to the Basilica, but other than that, I don't think there's any difference.

37. Re: How to get to the Sistene Chapel without the Museum tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:15