We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

Hello everyone.. first trip for Hubby and I is next September for two weeks. We are going to Venice, Florence and Rome, we have tons of books and doing lots of internet surfing. Then I see on TA one should by tickets on a website, but then that doesn't get you into something else and it has to be purchased seperately.. then I see something about visitng a place a night time is spectaular.. (can't remember what that was)... We are doing this trip on our own with the help of our travel agent, and my husband is a Big Vatican fan... but at the same point becuase of his job doesn't have time to help me plan this thing (tyipical huh).. so my question is, is there guided tours (reputable ones) that someone can recommend that we can purchase guided tours and help us with this venture in Rome??? There so much to planning this trip.. certainly not as easy as booking our tropical resort trips..thank you

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

You have over a year to organise this so ditch the travel agent and do it yourself. If you're visiting the big three, Venice ,Florence and Rome you should fly into one city and out of another to save time backtracking. Think about each city seperately deciding what you want to see in each and realistically how much time you can spend there. Travel by train is cheap and easy to navigate. You can buy your tickets as you go. Get your hotels to book reservations for the likes of Uffizi and other places that you would have to queue for as it saves paying a premium using booking sites. Remember to check the opening times too to avoid dissappointment. Always remember to build in a bit of relaxation time so that you don't totally exhaust yourselves. Have a great trip !

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

The Vatican is a large place consisting of many buildings. You can visit only some of these areas but most are closed to the general public. The main areas that people visit are the Vatican museums, St. Peter's basilica and they climb the dome.

For the Vatican museums you'll need entry tickets. You can buy these online at the official site about 60 days ahead of time. You can also book a tour on the same site if you choose to see the museums on a tour. This is also the way to get to the Sistine Chapel. You must go through the museums to get to the chapel, there is no other way to get there. If you are interested in seeing the museums in the evening they offer entry on Friday nights. Not all of the rooms are open so check that what your husband is interested in will be open.

St. Peter's is a church and is free to enter. You must go through a security check point but once past that you can stay for as long as you wish. There is a free tour of the basilica every afternoon. You must wear proper clothing or you'll be denied entry. Women must cover the tops of their arms and wear anything that covers their knees. This can include a dress, skirt, capris or pants. Men must also cover the tops of their arms but they are required to wear pants. If you follow these guidelines you'll be guaranteed entry. If you stray from them they can deny you entry. This happens all the time so adhere to the policy.

You can climb the dome to the top of St. Peter's. You must buy a ticket for this and it cannot be booked in advance.

You don't need a travel agent to help you plan your vacation. You can book your flights, hotels, transport and tours on your own and save a lot of money. This forum is a great way to get help and information and it's free.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Donna

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

oh my gosh... you guys are great!! thank you so much!!!!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

Buy the Rick Steves Italy 2012 guidebook. It's especially oriented to people who are traveling for the first time. It will help you understand everything you need to know.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

Spent 8 days in Rome, all self planned. For a Vatican-phile the Scavi tour will be a highlite, order tix ahead of time. My 2 regrets are not climbing the dome and not prepping better for the Forum. Our travel notes and books were in the lost suitcase. Lacking good prep we should've used a guide for the forum. Meals at researched restaurants were great, blind stop ins were all forgettable. I prepped for a year, including Pimsleur language. Studied a ton about Julius Ceaser, Michelangelo. The more you do the richer the trip will be. I was walking 3 hrs a day in prep, and found I should've done even more. Got horrendous blisters. Had one attempted pickpocket, be careful, my front pocket wallet was an open invite to the would be thief.

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

We planned our own trip on our own and it was our first trip abroad- two weeks in Italy and went all the same places you did and more. I documented the whole trip in a daily journal, which I blogged about every detail- transportation, dining, reviews, tips, etc. We opted not to do guided tours though- honestly we found them quite annoying to try and maneuver around. Here is the blog if you want to check it out:

This is the first page: …blogspot.com/2012/…venice-italy-reviews.html

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

thank you very much everyone:)

8. Re: First trip to Italy next September--soooo confusioning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:15