We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

Pope Benedict XVI's announcement less than two hours ago that he will step down on February 28 is an historical event of extraordinary significance, with few precedents in the history of the Roman Catholic Church. Not since the resignation of Pope Gregory XII in 1415 (during the scism controversy) has a Pontiff resigned his Office.

A truly shocking, totally unexpected piece of news which will be recorded in the history books.

The most famous precedent, that of Celestine V, Pietro da Morrone, prompted Dante to relegate him to Hell, when he penned the famous epitaph "colui che per viltade fece il gran rifuito". History now remembers Celestine V in a much more positive light. How will History remember Benedict XVI?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

Sorry for the typo above:

"colui che per viltade fece il gran rifiuto" (Inferno 3, 58-60)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

Some lucky visitors will get to see the white smoke and new pope. That would be an amazing experience.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

Do they close any part of the Vatican Museums or St Peter's while deliberations are going on?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

This thread is also current:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k61330…

The Sistine Chapel will be closed for the Conclave to elect a new Pope.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

The Conclave begins at 8 p.m. February 28, I would think the Sistine Chapel will be closed on that day for preparation (if not sooner).

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/98625…

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

I wonder what scandal will emerge from this resignation as The Pope is expected to die in office.Perhaps we will never know but there's something amiss here & no smoke without fire, so time will tell!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

If you read Italian, this article names previous Popes who have resigned. Benedict XVI becomes only the THIRD pope since 1294 to have resigned. The two most famous resignations are Celestine V (1294) and Gregory XII (1415, during the Great Schism).

corriere.it/cronache/13_febbraio_11/rinucia-…

As an extremely "traditional" Pontiff, Benedict XVI has made an extraordinarily "non-traditional" decision to step down!!!

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

I suspect that the historical impact of this resignation will be much less in this secular age than it was with the former cases. The former Popes resigned in a time when the Catholic church dominated the religious and daily lives of everyone in most of Europe. Now Cathloicism (and I mean no disrespect to Catholics or to Catholicism) is only one of a number of ways in which Christians choose to approach god, and the Pope certainly does not play any role in the religious or daily lives of a very great number of Christians, to say nothing of the large number of agnostics and atheists.

We live in times when for many people religion is comparatively unimportant, and for whom the resignation of a Pope is a curiosity rather than a drama.

I don't doubt that the impact of these events will be greater in Italy than in many other countries, and for Catholics everywhere these events will of course be of great significance and relevance, and it will be interesting to see how Catholics living in this more secular age will assess this decision to resign.

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
669 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

Didn't Dante Alighieri insert Celestine V in Canto III of the Divine Comedy - Inferno, amongst the "Uncomitted"?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pope's Resignation an Extraordinary Historical Event

The Telegraph article doesn't say, and in fact, nobody knows yet, when the conclave will begin. February 28th is when the "empty seat" period begins. This usually begins with the death of a pope, and it takes a while to organize the conclave. This time they have over two weeks' head start, but I really don't think it will begin at 8 PM on February 28th.

During the conclave, the Sistine Chapel will be closed to visitors. The rest of the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basilica should remain open.

I think Benedetto XVI was fed up, what with the warring cardinals, the snooping butlers, and the IOR (Vatican bank). Maybe having to get a Twitter account was the last straw.