We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

entrance to the vatican city

toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
entrance to the vatican city

how much does it cost to get into the vatican city?

also, are there tours organized by the vatican aka can you sign up for something at the door?

finally, would you recommend an organized tour or just individual browsing? my concern is whether it's more difficult for me to get into the Vatican museum if I'm not going in as a part of a tour.

thank you!

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: entrance to the vatican city

There is no charge to enter Vatican City, however most of the city is not open to the public. St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's Basilica are open to the public and free.

The Vatican Museum does offer tours, however these must be booked at least one week in advance. The Museum and Sistine Chapel tour is € 21 Euro. The Vatican Garden Tour (one of the only ways to get behind the walls of the city) is € 13.50.

Tickets for the museum and Sistine Chapel without a tour are € 12 and are available at the door.

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

Personally, I dislike tour groups. I dislike being rushed along and I prefer being able to browse where and when I want. However for the museum and gardens, I would book the official Vatican tour simply because the gardens are not accessible without a tour.

The Vatican also offers a wonderful gem called the Scavi Tour. It gives a tour on the escavations under St. Peter's Basilica near the Tomb of St. Peter. I do not remember the exact cost of the tour, but it is minimal.

Here is the website of the Scavi Office.

vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connecte…

Enjoy your trip, Vatican City is a beautiful and fascinating place full of hidden treasures.

2. Re: entrance to the vatican city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 10:27
Get answers to your questions about Vatican City