We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

Hello,

I am trying to plan our day in Vatican City and have found many posts and other articles about the number of steps to the top of the dome - but haven't read anything about how much time to allow for this activity. I know it partially depends on the security line, slow people in front of you, etc, but am trying to get a general idea.

Party of our group is doing the Scavi tour at 9am (last about 1.5 hrs) and then thought we would climb the cupola around 11, after the tour. We are also looking to take a Vatican Tour at 2:00pm (14:00) - but would also need time for lunch. Especially since we will have my 8 year old with us.

If we start the climb at 11am, will we be able to get to the top, enjoy the view, climb down, eat lunch and be back for a 2pm tour?

Thanks for your help!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

Depending how good a shape you're in (I had to pause on landings to let others go by..I'm 73) it took about 15 minutes to go up, and about 5 to come down (separate staircase). Not sure how long you want to stay up looking out at Rome. 15 minutes was enough for me

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

The last part of the climb is all stairs, but the first part can be done in an elevator or on foot. When we went the queue for the lift was really long, but we chose to do it all ourselves and therefore sailed past the crowds. It was a bit busier closer to the top when we all came together, but it still didn't take very long to climb. I think you should be fine unless there is an enormous queue just to buy tickets.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

I take it you have to buy tickets for the climb. Can they be bought in advance?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

I would doubt it, as the cost is about 10 euros altogether if you use the elevator/lift to the roof.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

Thank you all for your replies. I would have thought it would take longer to walk up 300+ steps. I think our schedule will definitely work!

Maryland
Level Contributor
518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

Yes, I too thought it'd take much longer, read a post which said it took 90 mins in all, mainly because of the bottle neck as you get to the top. We have an early tour of the Vatican museum and Scavi at 1.30, but would most certainly like to climb the dome if it takes only about 45 mins. Guess we'll play it by the ear and see how it goes on the actual day.

7. Re: How long does it take to climb the St.Peter's Cupola?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16