We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

WARNING. We took a €9 metered cab from Spanish Steps to Vatican St Peters, looked at the queue, and decided to take a cab to the Vatican museums, since I am walking with a cane. The group of cab drivers said it was €18, as it was a long way around. I said that was too much, so started to walk away, when they reduced the fare to €10, which I reluctantly agreed to. The trip took 5 minutes for a 500 metre trip "as the crow flies". When we exited the Vatican museums, two drivers at the rank said there was a special Vatican fare of €18 to take us back to Spanish Steps. Has anyone else heard of this sting?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

There is no special fare between the Vatican and any part of central Rome. The fare should be as shown on the meter.

washington dc
Level Contributor
812 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

That's a shame. I wonder if these cabbies realize what a bad impression they create with the tourists.

I think the cabbies at the vatican know that you are trying to get to the other side of the river so they can charge this exorbitant rate. The ones near Spanish steps will be metered since there are many cabs around.

We are staying near the trevi fountain and planning to see the museum on Friday night. We were planning to walk there late afternoon but take a cab back later in the night.

I had asked a Q about whether it is easy to get a cab back with 4 in our family sharing 1 cab. . But there was no response. Maybe we will take the metro instead.

How big are the cabs? Enough for 3 not very large people?

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

we found catching a taxi in rome a bit hard-we learnt that it is hard to hail a taxi….they will not stop…so you have to go to a taxi rank and they will soon tell you which taxi you get into-

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

You can easily get a taxi at St. Peter's square. They will fit four. Just be sure the driver turns on the meter. You can use worldtaximeter.com to get an idea of what the fare will cost. To get from St. Peter's to the trevi fountain should cost around 10 euros.

You can hail a taxi in Rome but it's difficult. It's easier to go to the taxi rank and get one there. Always take the first taxi in the rank.

Donna

5. Re: Special taxi fares to/from Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 07:16