We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering the Vatican City

Ermezinde, Porto...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Entering the Vatican City

Hi

My bf and I are visiting Rome (with the obvious stop in the Vatican city) next October and I've been looking for information on the Vatican city. As far as I can tell, the main entrance to the surrounded by a wall city is St. Peter's Square but there are four more entrances. However, I can't figure out where these are. Could you enlighten me please?

I've found that the Cipro and Ottaviano metro stations and supposed to be a 10 minute walk to the city. From Ottaviano to St. Peter's Square this is accurate but from Cipro Google Maps tells me it's a 20 minute walk. Besides, I've seen that Cipro is closer to the Museums entrance and Ottaviano to St. Peter's Basilica. So there has to be more entrances.

What would you say is the best way to go to the Vatican city and how can I really enter it?

Thanks in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering the Vatican City

Vatican City is closed to the public apart from the Vatican Museums and St Peter's Basilica. There are only these two entrances available to visitors. The entry to the Vatican Museums is about 10 minutes' walk from St Peter's Square.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,810 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering the Vatican City

From the Ottaviano stop it's about a 10 minute walk to the front of the museums and a 20 minute walk to the front of St. Peter's square. What do you plan to visit at the Vatican? As Nick says, "the Vatican" is not open to the public. The Vatican museums, St. Peters basilica, the dome and the gardens are open to the public. Which are you planning to visit? This will get you better directions on how to get there.

Donna

Ermezinde, Porto...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering the Vatican City

We are planning on spending a day there, so it would be the museums, st. peter basilica, the Sistine chapel, i.e., the must see :)

So in short tourists must enter through S. Peter's Square, right?

Edited: 26 July 2014, 15:04
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering the Vatican City

To enter St. Peter's Basilica, yes, entrance is through the square (remember to have knees and shoulders covered before entering the security line).

The Museums entrance is about a 15 minute walk or so around the wall.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 15:41
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,810 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering the Vatican City

Here is a great map of Vatican city. You can clearly see St. Peter's square and the Vatican museums highlighted in orange. The entrance to the museums is at the top of the picture while the entry to the basilica is to the middle right. It's about a 15 minute walk to get from one to the other. These are the only two entrances open to the public.

www.rome.info/vatican/map/mapvatican.gif

Donna

Ermezinde, Porto...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering the Vatican City

Thank you very much. You've been of great help :)

7. Re: Entering the Vatican City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 06:15