We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best Medieval Village in Italy

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Best Medieval Village in Italy

Just to let you know that the prize for the best Medieval village in Italy has just been awarded to Gradara.

A place not on many people's list when visiting Il Bel Paese but well worth the trip and even more so now.

It is in the Northern part of Le Marche and still holds a very genuine and warm welcome for one and all.

Small but very well preserved and with a fabulous castle and a lovely little restuarnats within this walled city.

Fabulous unspoiled villages and drives nearby and only 30 minutes drive to Urbino too.

Well worth thinking about if you still want to discover some of the less known and less touristy places.

Have a look at www.borghitalia.it for more info.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

I find Gradara a bit fake. We were there once late in the day and saw all the shops close up and the shopowners leaving town. I don't think many people actually live there. Also, the wall were all reconstructed using a whole lot of imagination. If you look through the slits for shooting arrow, you'll notice that those arrows are going to go flying off into the sky.

Corinaldo is the best medieval town I've seen. It's walls are intact, with very few changes since the middle ages.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

I can't comment on Gradara, however, the web site that ecosseresurgam recommended looks very interesting - for people who are looking for some variations in the Italian tour.

Urbino
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

I'd say that Urbino still stands on its own as the best walled towns in Le Marche. Don't stroll around, if you wish to descover something better.

Just wander to enjoy something else.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

Each to their own opinion regarding the best but nothing takes away from the fact that Gradara has been officially voted best medieval village in Italy.

To the poster who felt it lacked something because the shops were closing then I must say that that is the best time to visit.

Many a time we have had the borgo to ourselves and sitting in one of the lovely small restaurants watching the place return to normal after a busy day is simply delightful.

Obviously the people who have given it the prize thought so too.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

You didn't understand; I didn't complain that the shops were closing: I noted that all the shopkeepers seemed to live elsewhere. It looked to me like a town that lived only for tourism.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

OK I get what you mean however, people do live in Gradara only like everywhere else they don't live in the shops.

It is a small peaceful village and as there are very strict traffic laws regarding who can enter the historic centre and when then you will see little in the way of cars going around but lots of the locals are the ones you will see eating in the restaurants and walking around the streets.

Southern England
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

This is one of the problems of the Marche hill-towns; local people tend to move away from the centre to more spacious accommodation, with access to a garden, outside the walls. You can see this in Jesi or Fossombrone or Corinaldo, which I know and love. A local pasticceria doubled its turnover when it moved outside the walls.

Actually I like Gradara - it is a bit touristy but pleasant and welcoming, a lot better than some of the towns in the hinterland with dreary bars - no spremute - and surly barmen who are only nice to their regulars.

The Tigli is a delightful restaurant in Corinaldo - charming location with vaulted brick ceilings and good pasta. Avoid the meat. Enjoy the little glass of frizzante and the stuzzicherie served to all guests when they arrive and included in the price.

philadelphia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

I JUST returned from Le marche and yes, Gradara is beautiful. And to have dinner there at night is a truely special experience. I hve to say in general I was overwhelmed with the beauty of this area.

We stayed very close Gradara at a castle I picked off the Internet without any real information. WHAT A FIND! It is called Castello Di Monterado and is in the province of Ancona is a very small town called Monterado. Several really important things to say about the area in general. We were very lucky because we has NO IDEA that the Castle was 15 minutes to anywhere. It is very centrally located, There are so many medieval towns to see, it is really beyond words so it was good to have a place we could get back to easily at the end of the day. The Castle - no words can reflect the experience. A true castle. 4 suites only - each one with tthe most magnificant frescos on 30 foot ceilings I have ever seen in my life. Literally everything you touch is authentic. The owners are 4th generation owners, a very sweet and helpful couple. Best part - a suite the size of my house is 190 euros a night CANNOT WAIT TO GO BACK

www.castellodimonterado.it

9. Re: The Best Medieval Village in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:18