We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Le Marche

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Le Marche

Please can you help? We are a family with teenage kids travelling Bologna to Piobbico on a saturday morning in August. Can you plse recommend a good town to stop and have lunch, maybe visit a supermarket as we cannot go to our apartment until late saturday afternoon. We have been to Tuscany but this is our first visit to Le Marche. We enjoy exploring towns and finding family restaurants to eat at. Any advice for us? Thankyou in advance. Amanda

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Le Marche

The normal route to Piobbico from Bologna would be by the autostrada all the way to Fano, and I wouldn't necessarily want to leave the autostrada to have lunch. There are places to eat along the autostrada, and they often sell the bare essentials of groceries as well, but I can't remember what specifically is sold in the various rest stops along the way.

If you leave early enough, you could be in the vicinity of Piobbico by lunchtime. You would take the E78 from Fano to the SP3 (direction Roma).

After passing Fossombrone, you can get off the main SP3 to the old SP3, following the directions to Furlo. This road is the route of the ancient Roman Via Flaminia, passing through a very beautiful river gorge. At the town of Furlo, the road passes through a tunnel carved in the rocks in ancient times. Near this tunnel, you'll see signs for a restaurant called La Ginestra. This restaurant specializes in truffles, which can be VERY expensive for the prized tartufo bianco. Anyway, in August the tartufo bianco is out of season, so I wouldn't order it at all. La Ginestra is supposed to be very good, though I've never eaten there; it's a bit on the expensive side, and maybe you'd rather go another time.

If you go on a little further, you'll come to the town of Acqualagna, which has a few restaurants and a Conad supermarket, along with a few smaller groceries. I have eaten in Acqualagna, but I don't remember the name of the restaurant. In this area, you're not likely to find a bad restaurant. Their clientele is mostly local and they'd go out of business if the quality was low.

In between Furlo and Acqualagna, there is the small abbey church of San on the left-hand side, at the side of a small park. This little church is over 1000 years old. It's usually open, but I've never encountered anyone inside. At the far end of the park, there's an ancient Roman flood control work, to keep the nearby river from flooding the Via Flaminia.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Le Marche

We second the previous post about getting into the autostrada, but instead of exiting in Fano, we would recommend exiting in Pesaro, which will slow you down for the remaining mileage but you'll start to breathe the Renaissance air of Montefeltro area. The mileage will be shorter than the Fano exit, and there are a few options for a definite exquisite lunch rather than the autostrada auto grills (some of them are quite good but you cannot really compare a stop there versus a proper lunch in Le Marche).

We regularly receive the newsletter of Locanda Montelippo in Colbordolo, and the menus are always very inviting - see link: http://www.montelippo.it/speciale-ferragosto

The nearby village of Montefabbri is listed in Most Beautiful Villages of Italy. Alternatively, just before Colbordolo you could turn off to Monteciccardo and have lunch at The Conventino, so named as it was converted from an old convent. Another excellent lunch option is Ca` Andreana, 6 kms from Urbino. Of these three restaurants, only Ca` Andreana is featured in Trip Advisor.

Lastly, along the Provincial road 423 Pesaro-Urbino, there will be plenty of bars and shops for any needs without going in and out from this road.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Le Marche

actually, Locanda Montelippo has already several very good/excellent reviews.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Le Marche

Thank you both for your helpful replies, we are looking at viamichelin and deciding on the route. Our second week will be near Camerino, I will read all your previous posts about this area. Thank you again.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Le Marche

We spend part of every summer near Camerino, which is an area I love. We have a house there, so I don't have a lot of information about places to stay.

6. Re: Travelling to Le Marche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18