We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling around Marche by public transport

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
travelling around Marche by public transport

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Marche in April (and this forum has been an invaluable source of information!) and trying to decide whether it's worth renting a car or not. Before you all start saying, "yes!", I'm trying to travel on a budget and as my boyfriend might have to get an International licence (have to check on that) that would cost an extra $150.

So, I've been trying to work out if we can do this trip by train, bus, and if we're lucky, hitch-hiking :)

I've more or less planned an itinerary and have already checked on trenitalia.it whether we can get trains, but I'm stuck on a few things and would really appreciate some tips if anyone can help!

Here is the itinerary I've planned, can you let me know if it's feasible?

Day 1: Ravenna to San Marino and San Leo. Stay overnight in Pesaro.

Day 2: Bus to Urbino. Stay overnight.

Day 3: Bus to Pesaro and train to Genga-S. Vittore Terme to visit Grotte di Frasissi. After visiting the caves, get a train to Porto Recanati. Stay overnight.

Day 4: Take it easy and visit Loreto.

Day 5: Train to Ascoli Piceno and return.

Day 6: Train to Macerata and return.

Day 7: Explore Cornero Riviera.

Day 8: Return by train to Ravenna.

Instead of staying overnight in Urbino, should we stay in Pesaro and do it as a day trip as we have to return to Pesaro to get a train to see the caves? Or, is it possible to get from San Leo/San Marino to Urbino without having to go to Pesaro? If so, I would prefer to stay in Urbino.

We would also like to visit San Marino and San Leo. I know it's possible to get a bus from Rimini to San Marino and also a bus from Rimini to San Leo, but as they're so close to each other, it seems ridiculous to have to go back to Rimini in order to see both. Is it possible to get from San Marino to San Leo by bus?

We will also be travelling around Easter (April 19 - 26). Will public transport be affected during public holidays?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Roxie

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

First of all, if your boyfriend has an EU license, he won't need an IDP (International Drivers Permit). If he doesn't have one, I really doubt that it would cost $150. (I'm a little confused, because your location is stated as London, but you quote the price in $ instead of £.) In the US, you can get an IDP at any AAA office for a very reasonable price. You need two passport photos, and you can save a little money by bringing them with you.

A car is really a great advantage in Le Marche, which is a rural area with not a great public transportation network. The trips you're planning could be done by train and bus, but having a car would give you a lot more freedom and flexibility. You would be able to visit many charming little towns that aren't on train lines.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

The IDP is not a license. It's a translation and rearranging of your regular license into a format that is easily understandable in other languages. It has to be carried along with your regular license. Beware of companies adverising international licenses on the internet.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

Thanks for your response, bvlenci. I didn't realise an IDP wasn't the same as a licence so I will ask him to double check again. Sorry for the confusion, I'm from England but live in Italy and my boyfriend's from Georgia (the country, not the state) so he will need an IDP.

I know that it would be much better if we rented a car but knowing it's possible to do everything by public transport, I'm now just weighing up the costs... and if there isn't a huge difference, then we'll get a car.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

I'm pretty sure that public transportation would be cheaper, because the trains you'd be using would almost all be regional trains, which are very inexpensive. You can see prices and schedules here, but only if you use a date within the next week:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

Thanks, I've already looked at the costs and it seems we would save a fair bit if we went by public transport. My main concern is getting to San Marino, San Leo and then to Urbino by bus without having to go back to Rimini or Pesaro... any ideas?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

I think Rimini is the best place from which to get a bus to San Marino and also the bus to San Leo. However, if you're staying in Pesaro, you could take a train to Rimini. I don' t think you could see both in one day, and you'd need to have a place to leave your bags unless you spend at least two nights in your base town. If you have to skip one of the two, I would prefer to skip San Marino. You can look at the following schedules to see if you can fit both places into one day. In any case, you should start your trip on Day 1 from your base town, either Rimini or Pesaro, rather than from Ravenna, where you'll leave your bags and visit one or both towns.

Here is a schedule of a private bus service to San Leo, which will take you right up to the fortress:

bonellibus.it/portale/…Escursione_SanLeo.pdf

The bus ticket also gives you a discount to the fortress. The last stop before the fortress is Rimini FF SS, which means the train station.

The same company also offers bus service to San Marino:

bonellibus.it/portale/images/download_pdf/ri…

Or, you can take the regular buses of the Republic of San Marino:

riminiturismo.it/1744/36/Orari_Bus_di_Linea_…

"Feriale" means Monday to Saturday. "Festivo" means "Sundays and holidays". I don't know if your trip includes the Easter period, but keep in mind that Easter Monday is a public holiday.

Neither San Leo nor Rimini is in Le Marche, and of course, San Marino isn't even in Italy. San Leo used to be in Le Marche, but they voted to move to Emilia Romagna.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

It looks like there's a bus between San Marino and Urbino. It only runs once a day, however:

bonellibus.it/portale/…rimini_urbino.pdf

I travel only via public transportation myself, but it seems to me you're trying to make an itinerary that's not well suited for a region with spotty transport. If you can make it work, great, but there will likely be few others in the forum who have timed out the transportation for this kind of trip and therefore could advise you.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

It's a shame that bus is so early in the morning. It doesn't look as though it would help with the itinerary. Staying overnight in San Marino wouldn't be very appealing to me.

9. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 08:57
London
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling around Marche by public transport

Those bus timetables are just what I need! You're right about me being over-ambitious with my itinerary so I think I'll cut out San Marino and go to San Leo and Urbino as separate day trips from Pesaro.

Thanks so much for your help!