We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinirary please

Fenelon Falls...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
help with itinirary please

My husband and I wish to visit le Marche this summer. we have 8 days. We will be renting a car as we will be arriving in Rome. We wish to visit mostly the central and south part of le Marche and hoping to hop into Umbria for a day in Perugia and possibly spoleto. We wish to stay in B&Bs or agritourismo basic simple clean lodging. We wish to find a central place to stay near le Grotte di Frassari and then move to the south and stay near the La reserve Naturale Abbadia Fiastra.

Can someone suggest an itinerary for these areas. Also accommodations and restaurants. We have visited Italy twice before and have done the big cities and the arts, we now just want to be with the people and enjoy their food and culture. Any outdoor markets or feasts to see? We were thinking of also going to a wine, cheese and olive oil tours.

thank you

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinirary please

There are lots of festivals in this area in August; you can hardly drive five miles on a weekend without encountering a festival. In other months, there are fewer, but you should still be able to find some.

We spend part of every summer in the upper Potenza valley, which is one of my favorite spots in Italy. This would be a very central location for all the things you want to see. An ancient Roman road passed through this valley, and it's an easy trip from there to Umbria. It's a little over an hour from there to Perugia. I'm not sure what you want to see in Perugia, but I suggest you consider visiting Assisi and Spello, which are a bit closer, and, in my opinion, more beautiful. Spello, while small, is one of the prettiest towns in Italy, in my opinion.

Some of the towns in or near this valley are Fiuminata, which covers a large territory, but is really a collection of villages and hamlets; Pioraco, where several rivers come together in a lovely spot beneath some cliffs; Castelraimondo, where you can visit the Lanciano Castle; and Camerino, one of Italy's beautiful Renaissance hill towns. There are some very nice walking paths, as well as horseback riding, and even hang-gliding. This is a favorite vacation spot for Italians, especially from Rome. The population of the area doubles. In the village where our house is, the population in August is about quadruple the winter population.

We have a house in the area, so I've never needed to find lodging, but there is an agriturismo called La Castagna in the countryside of Fiuminata, where we go sometimes for lunch, or to use their pool on a hot day. You could also search for agristurismi near any of these towns; I don't think you could go very wrong in this area. If you go closer to the coast, you'd be farther from Umbria, of course.

I don't even think you'd have to move at all. Fiuminata is less than an hour from the Grotte di Frasassi, and it's only about an hour from the Abbadia di Fiastra. The abbey there is one of the most beautiful in Italy. We once took a walk in the nature reserve, but we didn't go very far. I don't know how extensive the paths are.

Fenelon Falls...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinirary please

thank you so very much for your suggestions. We will definitely make a plan change to our itinerary as to your suggestions. One of the reason we wanted to move to the south of le Marche is to visit Spoleto, Todi in Umbria and then head further south to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast.

Again Thank you.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinirary please

Spoleto is about an hour from the upper Potenza valley; we went there for a concert last year. Todi is a bit further.

Another town that you might want to visit if you stay in the area I suggested is San Severino Marche. It has a beautiful piazza in the lower town, but the upper town is also very nice. I also like Matelica, which has an interesting civic museum.

If you go there, I can suggest other excursions, because we've been going there every year for the last ten or so years. The house was damaged by the earthquakes in Umbria in 1997-98, so for a while we couldn't use it.

4. Re: help with itinirary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Marche
Recent Conversations