We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

We recently travelled from Ancona to Split and I have a few tips that may be of use to future travellers.

There is left luggage at Ancona train station, there are no signs but it's inside where the toilets are so follow signs there. €3 for the first 12 hours, paid in advance, per bag. We had no problems.

Bus no. 12 takes you from the train station direct to the ferry terminal where you need to check in (all the ferry lines were there). Bus tickets are €1.40. Then there is a free bus, no. 20 that takes you down to the docks to actually board the ferries.

Chiesa Santa Maria
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Chiesa Santa Maria della Piazza
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
DC
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

Excellent, thank you!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

Thanks very much for the information. I'm sure it will be useful to others.

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

thanks!

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

hi, any idea of how much the ferry costs? I'm going from Hvar to Ancona and just wanted to see what the prices were like?

Thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

Here is a company that operates on that route:

http://www.blueline-ferries.com/

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

Dear Josie, that's really helpful - my husband and I are travelling Ancona-Split and back again in the next couple of weeks, so very grateful for the advice!

New Haven...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

RE: getting from Northern Italy to Croatia

We will be going to croatia from Florence in May. I have only been able to find an Ancona/Split route at that time of year. We'd much rather get to either Hvar or Dubrovnik. If we could get there from another northern Italian port tht would be much better than getting all the way down to Bari. does anyone know of such a ferry route and the ferry company that operates it?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

For Ancona to Hvar try the Blue Line ferries that bvlenci mentioned in post 5. I had a quick look and they go from Ancona to Stari Grad on Hvar. I did put May in and it came up but I didn't go through the whole booking process. Jadrolinija ferries don't do that route. You would have to go to Split then a ferry to Stari Grad or catamaran from Split to Hvar Town.

For Dubrovnik I'm afraid you might have to go down to Bari.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

We have a reservation on may 21 from ancona to split. Online it says that check in begins 2 hours before departure. Could you please tell us: What is the cut off time? We are booking our train from Venice and would like to know if one hour before departure is acceptable. And how far is it from the train station to the check in area. if we arrive at 6:30pm to the ancona train station, is that too short or ok. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tips for getting ferry from Ancona to Croatia

You don't say what time the ferry departs. I would think one hour would be sufficient, but I would certainly not take the last train that would get me there on time. I would want to leave at least a good three hours between the arrival of the train and the departure of the ferry. Trains don't always arrive on time, and if you miss the ferry, you'll have to buy a new ticket, as well as lose a day. When the consequences are high, you shouldn't cut things close.

The ferry port is close to the station, and you can get there by taxi or bus. It should take only ten minutes at most. If you don't have much luggage, you could even walk.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 18:42