We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancona train station and port

Which Ancona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ancona train station and port

I need to buy train tickets from Florence to Ancona but as I go to Trenitalia website to buy tickets it gives a list of possible stations and I wasn't sure which one to put in for the port:

Ancona ( Tutte Le Stazioni )

Ancona M.Ma

Ancona Piazza Cavour

Ancona Piazza Kennedy

Ancona Stadio

Would it be the first one (Tutte Le Stazioni)?

Also a few questions regarding journey from station to port:

Is a bus the easiest way to get trom train station to Jadrolinija check-in (for ferry to Croatia-Zadar)? Is it easy to find the bus station or should I research the bus timetable? Is it one stop for all ferry check-in's or do we need to know where Jadrolinija is?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems many have said on past forums that it can be confusing getting from train to port and I don't want to be going all over the place with a 5 year old after a 4 hour train journey.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ancona train station and port

Yes, choose "Tutte le stazioni", which means "all stations". The trains from Bologna only stop at one station, but I don't know the name of the main station, although I've passed through there on various occasions. On the Trenitalia site, "Tutte le stazioni" is always the safe choice, as it will show all your options. Often you really have only one choice anyway, but how is one supposed to know the name of the main station in a city one has never visited?

You'll have to change trains in Bologna to go to Ancona. Many of the trains between Bologna and Ancona are regional trains, with no reserved seats. If the itinerary you prefer involves a regional train, I recommend that you buy online tickets only from Florence to Bologna. You can get the regional ticket in Florence (from a multilingual ticket machine) before you board the train. Online tickets for regional trains are sold only 7 days in advance, by which time the discounted prices for the trains from Florence to Bologna may be sold out. Besides, there's no advantage to buying a regional ticket online, as they come with restrictions that the normal tickets don't have. Regional tickets never sell out, and the prices are never discounted.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ancona train station and port

Thanks very much for that information! I will then buy the Florence-Bologna ticket as soon as the new schedules are released (I'm traveling after June 8) and hopefully will get some super-economy tickets! I will get the regional tickets at the station as you suggest (we will most likely have a 40min-1hour layover so should be plenty of time to find a ticket machine).

Thanks again, that's most helpful.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ancona train station and port

Roughly half of the trains on that route are regional trains. The rest are either IC or Frecciabianca trains, which you can buy in advance and get discounts. It all depends on the itinerary that suits you best. I think this site is best for the trip you want to take:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

In order to see the available discounts, you need to select an itinerary and continue to the next page.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ancona train station and port

Hello ! I am doing the same thing in the opposite direction. Going from Anacona to Florence

I'm still a bit confused how to do this ....how far is the train station from the port on Anacona? Did you bus or cab to train station? Do I need tickets I'm advance ? When I Florence in as my destination it gives me six choices of stations ? Which do I choose ? Are there that many in Florence ? I have read I need to change trains in Bologna ? Was this smooth for you / easy to know if you don't speak Italian which train to get on? Really appreciate any tips ! Thanks!!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ancona train station and port

The port is very near the train station; if you didn't have luggage, you could walk, but I'd want to take a bus or taxi with luggage. Buses 1 and 3 stop at Piazza Kennedy, just outside the port and will take you to the station. Make sure it's going in the right direction. Ask the driver, "stazione?" (Stah tsee OH nay) before getting on the bus.

Most of your other questions are answered in response number 1 above. Read it carefully, reversing the cities. The station you want in Florence is Santa Maria Novella, but, as I said above, "tutte le stazioni" is always the safe choice. I'm not sure I'd want to buy tickets in advance. If they have reserved seats, you run the risk of their being worthless if you miss the train if your ferry docks late. Even the full-price tickets can be exchanged only for an hour after the scheduled departure. I would just buy the tickets at the station, even though they'll cost a little more.

You'll have to change trains in Bologna. There are departure boards showing the track numbers for arriving and departing trains. I would look at the schedules on www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… and print out a page of schedules for the approximate time you'll be traveling. You can use the time of departure and train number to find the right train. The destination shown on the boards is the final destination, which won't be Florence. It would probably be Roma, or maybe Napoli. I think all the trains between Bologna and Rome stop in Florence. Anyway, the time of departure and train number are your safest indicators.

They've been doing a lot of restructuring of the station in Bologna; they've always had two sections of the station, east (est) and west (ovest). This meant that the low numbered tracks always had the designation "est" or "ovest" to indicate where they were. I don't know if this is still true, but I think the trains to Rome mostly depart from higher-numbered tracks anyway.

The train between Bologna and Rome is a reserved train, so you have to take the specific train you have the reservation for. If for any reason you miss the train, take the ticket to the ticket window to get an exchange, which will be free as long as an hour hasn't passed, or if the delay was caused by the late arrival of the train from Ancona. Most of the station personnel speak at least a little English, but ask politely if they speak English before barging ahead.

6. Re: Ancona train station and port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:21
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ancona train station and port

All of the above information is correct, although I would never travel to Bologna via Foligno. I live fairly near Senigallia, which is a few stops north of Ancona. Also, as I said before, since you're arriving by boat, I wouldn't advise reserving tickets in advance to save money. If your ferry arrives late, which does happen fairly often, your ticket might be worthless. I would buy the tickets at the train station in Ancona when you arrive there. You can get a ticket all the way to Florence; if it's not a direct train, they'll give you both tickets.

Orleans, France
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ancona train station and port

Don t worry with trentalia website often very confusing. There is only one stop in Ancona so select the 1st that comes up Ancona. Many guides said no problem to get your ticket at the train station,but this is OK as long as you are willing to pay premium prices. Trentalia and Italio operate like the airlines now, the more in advance that youbuy the cheaper you ll pay. Also be flexible to get the best price. Sometimes waiting an hour and taking a slower train will save you 50% or more,click around atthe site. When you arrive in Ancona all busesare right out front of station ask in the newstand where to get your bus, many are free #20 is to the porto. Porto is to yourleft direction when exiting the station so make certain bus heads in that direction Bon Voyage!

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Ancona train station and port

Can I get a rail transport from Italy to Sydney? Anyone with any good information should please reply me via isidorl@yahoo.com

10. Re: Ancona train station and port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:16